Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I hope someone can help with this query ...


I am a UK citizen who for a while lived in the US but am now back living in Britain

Some years back, whilst in the States, I set up an Education IRA (now a Coverdell ESA) for my son. I made several contributions to the ESA but the fund was badly hit by the dotcom fallout (as was my job) and the value of the holdings fell well below the amount of contributions. Although the value of the fund has recovered over the years it is still below the level of contributions.


Am I able to withdraw the funds without having to go through the rigmarole of showing qualified educational expenses?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.