No. of Recommendations: 0
Covered Call- from investopedia:
For example, let's say that you own shares of the TSJ Sports Conglomerate and like its long-term prospects as well as its share price but feel in the shorter term the stock will likely trade relatively flat, perhaps within a few dollars of its current price of, say, $25. If you sell a call option on TSJ for $26.00, you earn the premium from the option sale but cap your upside. One of three scenarios is going to play out:

a) TSJ shares trade flat (below the $26 strike price) - the option will expire worthless and you keep the premium from the option. In this case, by using the buy-write strategy you have successfully outperformed the stock.

b) TSJ shares fall - the option expires worthless, you keep the premium, and again you outperform the stock.

c) TSJ shares rise above $26 - the option is exercised, and your upside is capped at $26, plus the option premium. In this case, if the stock price goes higher than $26, plus the premium, your buy-write strategy has underperformed the TSJ shares.

Let me see if I've got this right, again with our $20 stock. I put out a covered call for $25- if the stock gets to $25 I was "called" and my shares sell for $25/share. If it doesn't get to $25, I get to keep some sort of "premium?" So I get money for selling a covered call? What prevents me from selling a covered call of $30, or $100? The fact that there won't be a buyer?

It seems that if you're patient and don't need to sell right away, a covered call is a good idea since you'll make money if the stock doesn't go up and you make money if the stock goes up... Again- this is assuming I've interpreted all of this correctly...
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.