Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 18
A widely available anti-inflammatory drug is effective in keeping people out of hospital and helping them survive the disease.

Anymouse

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/researchers-tout-major...

cbc.ca

Researchers tout 'major scientific discovery' in $14M study for COVID-19 treatment

CBC/Radio-Canada 16 hrs ago

Nearly a year after launching a clinical study into a potential COVID-19 treatment, researchers with the Montreal Heart Institute suggest a widely available anti-inflammatory drug is effective in helping people stay away from hospitals and survive the disease.

Nearly 4,500 people took part in a study that's led to what the researchers are calling "a major scientific discovery."

Within that group, researchers say colchicine reduced hospitalizations by 25 per cent and deaths by 44 per cent. They also found the drug helped cut the need for mechanical ventilation by 50 per cent.

"These results are substantial, ...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Gee, another cheap, readily available, panacea claiming huge benefits. Small number of people in the study. Infections not confirmed by an accurate test before participation. Pardon my skepticism, but this sounds like a movie I have seen before.

Steve
Colchicine side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have:

muscle pain or weakness;

numbness or tingly feeling in your fingers or toes;

pale or gray appearance of your lips, tongue, or hands;

severe or ongoing vomiting or diarrhea;

fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms; or

easy bruising, unusual bleeding, feeling weak or tired.

Common side effects may include:

nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea.
No. of Recommendations: 1
steve203 writes,

Gee, another cheap, readily available, panacea claiming huge benefits. Small number of people in the study. Infections not confirmed by an accurate test before participation. Pardon my skepticism, but this sounds like a movie I have seen before.

</snip>

I'd be more skeptical if they were pumping a $100,000 drug. Big Pharma doesn't like cheap, inexpensive solutions to medical problems.

Heck, didn't they find that simply putting COVID patients face down in their hospital bed (i.e., "proning") improved outcomes? Not much money for Pharma in that.

Proning for COVID patients.
https://www.medline.com/coronavirus/prone-positioning-benefi...

</snip>

intercst
I'd be more skeptical if they were pumping a $100,000 drug. Big Pharma doesn't like cheap, inexpensive solutions to medical problems.

There wasn't any profit for the drug industry in insisting the plague could "go away on it's own" either, but we were fed that line too.

Steve