Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is reinforcing my intent not to fly in the near future.

COVID-19 exposure on flights is more common than you think. The US doesn't share details, but Canada does

Data from Canadian public health authorities show a near daily occurrence of flights where a passenger may have been infected while flying.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-exposure-flights-more-13...
Print the post Back To Top
Before Covid it seems I always picked up colds/flu on, luckily, return home flights, but I know it wasn't real all of them. but there were several memorable ones. I did monthly, or more runs out to Hawaii in the late '90s, and somehow, generally avoided sold..Tried for nice big 747 & exit rows, seemed to help... Likely depends on what they though was good filtering in those days..

But I can't see air travel until we're vaccinated.. I mean the whole family. Inlaw has a condo in Puerto Vallarta we want to get to later this year, maybe Thanksgiving, but like other getaways on our schedule, Im not too locked into it..
No. of Recommendations: 1
We keep getting emails with offers for great flights and great cruises, but all of them (so far) offer "free cancellation" with the caveat that the monies paid will be applied to a future flight/cruise that may or may not have a discount. So we haven't booked anything yet.

Plus many destinations would require 2 weeks quarantine, which would eat up a significant chunk of vacation time. We have no idea when those will be lifted, or under what conditions.
A cruise we booked for March 2021 has been deferred to March 2022. We aren't booking anything else. If this summer looks better, we are vaccinated, and I am back on my feet (my surgery is scheduled in two months), we might visit family in summer. Too many ifs to book anything.

Our 2020 travel budget when into landscaping. Putting money into the local economy during this mess is probably better anyway.
Correct, I can't see travel improving for a long time, and even there, how secure, safe is it to wander about the area like we used to? In Puerto Vallarta, it was so handy to just hop a bus or grab a cab to downtown, cruise the sights, bars, join in on whatever was going on, or just go sit on the beach, buy a bucket of beers, and relax, lunch or dinner, more tequila, or local bootleg versions... but now? No way... I'm really doubting going in November.. It's sad, those areas rely on tourism, from street vendors to the hotels, restaurants...

So local camping, coastal rentals, maybe Yosemite, but..
Our 2020 travel plans, a long camping run through the SouthWest, went bye bye, instead it covered a new roof, gutters, weds book 5 cabins in Yosemite for April this year, thinking it would be OK by then, but now I have real doubts, really just waiting on a cancellation/refund...

Flights... Nope...
Before Covid it seems I always picked up colds/flu on, luckily, return home flights,

Most of the time, we have returned healthy from trips. Only once did I catch a cold on a cruise which made for a very bad flight home. I now pack decongestants.
In the Summer 2014, we took a river cruise from Budapest to Passau, then spent a couple of days in a hotel in Prague. From Prague we had planned to go by train to visit friends in Berlin. As luck would have it, there was a train strike in Germany. The train stopped in Dresden and we transferred to a bus to get us into Berlin. This made meeting our friends kinda iffy. The bus dumped us off at the train station, but our friends were supposed to meet a train. The Countess had never met these friends FTF, so I had her sit in the lobby while I searched for them. I made a loop around the station without finding them, but by time I got back to where I left her, she was sitting and chatting away with our friend Gardy. Gardy had identified her as an American who was waiting for someone. Clever girl, Gardy. Then Gardy contacted Peter (hubby) using the cell phone, so we were able to get together.

The next day, the Countess woke up sick. Fever and nausea. She pretty much stayed in bed for our visit there. I was a bit sick, but nothing that bad. We surmised we had caught someone's disease on the boat. Luckily for our friends, they avoided it.

Our plans included a stop in Cologne to visit other friends (Who were already known to both of us), but we didn't want to infect them too, so we called and cancelled that part of our trip. (not to forget the train strike.) With luck, we were able to snag a last minute opening in a time share in Paris, so we diverted to there. We able to change plane resers home from Düsseldorf to Paris and so we included a short trip to Paris on that vacay. We saw nothing of Paris on that trip other than from the windows of busses to and from the airports.

We had stayed at the Royal Regency in Paris (Actually in Vincennes) several times, so we were happy just to be in familiar surroundings. Then something amusing (well, at least to us) happened. When we checked in at the Royal Regency, the clerk suddenly brightened up and said, "I see you are from Los Angeles. What part?" The Countess was sick and just wanted to go to bed, so she decided to shut him up, and said "We're from San Pedro". She figured that would stop his inquiry. But he said, "Oh, San Pedro! Is the Busy Bee grocer still there? They make the best sandwiches!" This cracked us up, as there is in fact a Busy Bee, and they are famous locally for their sandwiches. It seems he had gone to school at a local college and knew San Pedro well enough to know about the Busy Bee. Still an amusing memory to us.

We spent two nights there and bused to Charles de Gaulle for out home trip. (By then she was mostly recovered.)

Moral of story: You can indeed get sick on a cruise.

CNC

CNC

Yes, we have been lucky.

We've taken three Viking cruises--one river, two Mediterranean. I came home with upper respiratory infections from the first (Moscow to St. Petersburg) and last (Rome to Barcelona). The second was on the maiden voyage of one of their ships (Istanbul to Venice), so maybe there weren't so many germs on the new ship.

I'm just not sure when I'll ever be ready to get on another plane, although we have to reschedule a couple of Southwest flights before September 2022 or lose the investment. We'll see. I'm not optimistic, though am sure masks will be a part of our air travel from now on, if it happens.
I'm just not sure when I'll ever be ready to get on another plane...

You won't fly even after you get vaccinated? Well, I sure will. Can't wait.

For us, 1.) When we have COVID vaccinations (both shots), 2.) I've recovered from surgery, 3.) COVID hospitalizations have decreased, 4.) and I've caught up on pending vaccinations. If any travel in 2021, it will definitely be within the US.

International travel will wait for 2022. By then, I'm hoping to get over my fear of water and learn to swim.
Sensible. Though I would add "5.) the rest of the world has received their shots".

If you're the only person in the world with the shot then you aren't really protected. Herd immunity is what protects people, and vaccinations are a way to get there. But most people have to have them for it to be effective.

Hopefully international travel by 2022. I wouldn't even consider a trip that required me to get on a plane or a ship right now. Driving is safe (in terms of the virus), and it should be safe to return to hotels by fall (at least I hope so).
If you're the only person in the world with the shot then you aren't really protected.

How do you figure that?
That's the whole thing about herd immunity and (at least part) of why it's a "thing".
No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry, I'm still not following you. If you get vaccinated, you're 95% protected from Covid-19, which is pretty much the same level of protection we'll have collectively if and when we reach herd immunity.
Sorry, I'm still not following you. If you get vaccinated, you're 95% protected from Covid-19, which is pretty much the same level of protection we'll have collectively if and when we reach herd immunity.

How much of a viral load does the 95% protection provide? Encountering a few people who are contagious is different that walking into a COVID patient unit without PPEs.

It is also a question that if you are in the 5% will medical care be available? Which was why I one of my requirements is for hospitalizations to be decreasing. I don't want to be in an area where hospitals are overloaded with COVID cases.

MedJet did start covering COVID evacuations.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Right there with you.

My son is going to Costa Rica next month - he had Covid last March and will have had both vaccine shots. He will still have to have a covid test before coming back. I'll be interested to see how it goes.
I wonder if an antibody test would tell you whether you have immunity after being vaccinated?

Jeff
Encountering a few people who are contagious is different that walking into a COVID patient unit without PPEs.

So use common sense then?
Antibody tests would work for a while. Antibodies decrease overtime but T cells may remember.
I wonder if an antibody test would tell you whether you have immunity after being vaccinated?

Utter anecdata - He was tested due to his job and community transmission there(this was in March). Positive, then a few days of symptoms, tested for antibodies before returning to work, had them(registered for plasma donation but never called - there was research going on here). Vaccinated because of work with second dose this week. Not tested again for antibodies before the first dose.

No idea if there will be followup.

Extremely healthy early 30 yo.

Lots of research opportunities probably missed at the moment.
No. of Recommendations: 5
If you get vaccinated, you're 95% protected from Covid-19

No.

Vaccinations protect from symptomatic covid.

peace & protection
t
No. Vaccinations protect from symptomatic covid.

Noted. This doesn't alter my basic point, which is that once you're fully vaccinated, you can travel sensibly without much risk of contracting Covid that will sicken or kill you--and that this is the case independently of the extent of herd immunity.