Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Mrs.C woke this morning with a 101F fever and decidedly flu-like symptoms. We have to suspect COVID. We are very careful usually. She did visit her dad twice last week and aunt once, both in care homes. Other than that it's just normal shopping and interaction with our three school-age kids. The kids are doing their normal activities now, school, sports, and the eldest works part time in a store...yep, lots of places for transmission.

I called our primary care doctor - no appointments available till tomorrow, test takes five days to come back. Five days! That's stupid.

Called the clinic at the pharmacy we use in the Kroger supermarket - no appointments available till tomorrow, very rude person on the phone, must be scheduled online (apparently I should have known that).

Went online and scheduled a drive up test for this morning at a CVS pharmacy 16 minutes away. No fuss. Test done, 2-4 days for results.

In the meantime I have her quarantined in the bedroom. Oh hum.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I hope your wife just has some 24-hr bug instead. Let us know.
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK one other thing to put into your decision process. The faster tests like at CVS are not the PCR test. That means these tests comes with a significant risk of false negatives - Think the Whiteshouse testing -- everybody was tested, but the Abbott method used at the Whitehouse has about 10% false negatives. That means if you test 100 people who really have covid, you find the results for 10 will say no covid.

I suggest you contact your local (county???) public health department.
No. of Recommendations: 1
FWIW, I've had two fevers in the past 5 months. One was low-grade (about 100F), and the other was about 101F. I almost went to the ER for the 101F since it could have been an indication of COVID, but the fever went away over the space of several hours. No idea what caused it. I monitored it VERY closely, and kept my distance 'just in case'.

Hopefully your bride will have a similar <24 hr fever.
No. of Recommendations: 1
OK one other thing to put into your decision process. The faster tests like at CVS are not the PCR test.

According to CVS it is the PCR test:

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

What type of test is performed?
MinuteClinic performs a PCR test, which tests for active infections only. We do not administer antibody tests, which indicate whether the patient has been infected in the past.
My reply was based on the statement results are in 2 or 3 days. The actual PCR test itself I believe takes more than 24 hours. Here in Georgia at least the PCR tests have been takes 4 or 5 days unless you are hospital. Last summer it was worse.

I sure hope you get a result in 72 hours.
No. of Recommendations: 2
How long it takes to get results from a PCR Covid test can vary greatly depending on a number of factors, including transit time from site of sample taking to lab, how long it takes the lab to extract RNA from the sample, how backed up the lab is, etc.

The sad thing is, the long delay of PCR tests makes them virtually useless for screening people who are most likely to spread the virus.

Here's a good article from NPR from back in March that explains the PCR process and some of the variables affecting reporting time.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/28/8228695...

regards,
Kris
The sad thing is, the long delay of PCR tests makes them virtually useless for screening people who are most likely to spread the virus.

Exactly. Primary care doctor could do the test the next day, plus a 5 day wait for the test result, that's nuts. We're not putting our kid's lives on hold for a week just to see if maybe she has it.

No result yet. She is feeling much better. Fever lasted 36 hours or so. We're thinking it's not COVID.