Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&mid=%2Fm%2F...

And the worthless loser orange scum still tries to lead us to Hell.

40 days left? Merry Christmas!

Ken
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
In other news, 310 million Americans do not have and never have had Covid-19...
No. of Recommendations: 0
"In other news, 310 million Americans do not have and never have had Covid-19... "

Way to whistle past the graveyard!

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 1
Its interesting that some "experts" seem to think there are many more out there who had the virus with minimal symptoms and have been undetected and uncounted.

But the same "experts" are reluctant to suggest that we might be closer to herd immunity than they are willing to admit.

Seems like most estimates are based on limited data and perhaps little more than a guess.

I suppose we will notice when the numbers of new infections falls.

But it would be ironic if it turned out most of us were already infected making the vaccine superfluous.
No. of Recommendations: 1
But it would be ironic if it turned out most of us were already infected making the vaccine superfluous.

While I realize this is anecdotal, where I work, we’ve been doing surveillance testing for four months. This has involved more than 10K tests weekly and those identified are quarantined and re-tested. Those people who are in contact with many others as part of their jobs are repeatedly tested. The positive percentage is fairly low, from much < 1% up to about 2% maximum. The people come from a reasonably wide geographic radius (~40 miles for about 95%) and are from all major demographics and walks of life.

This testing seems to suggest we’re not that close to herd immunity, at least in my area.

Pete
No. of Recommendations: 0
This testing seems to suggest we’re not that close to herd immunity, at least in my area.

Agreed.

Also:

Italy could soon reclaim a record that nobody wants — the most coronavirus deaths in Europe — after the health care system again failed to protect the elderly and government authorities delayed imposing new restrictions.

This wasn’t supposed to happen. Italy was the first country in the West to be slammed by COVID-19 and, after suffering a huge wave of death in spring, brought infections under control.

Italy then had the benefit of time and experience heading into the fall resurgence because it trailed Spain, France and Germany in recording big new clusters of infections. Yet the virus spread fast and wide, and Italy has added nearly 29,000 dead since Sept. 1.

https://apnews.com/article/pandemics-europe-italy-coronaviru...
No. of Recommendations: 2
The positive percentage is fairly low, from much < 1% up to about 2% maximum.

When the virus testing began the usual positive rate was about 10%. That is probably testing people with flu like symptoms.

Now we hear reports that some places have much higher positive rates. Up to 30%.

Your 2% rate implies repeated testing of a relatively secure population. Hot spots are significantly higher.

Of course effective contact tracing should mean you can contain the infection in hot spots and quarantine those people. Failure of the contact tracing system (due to non-cooperation of the positives and possibly slack government efforts) makes that goal difficult to achieve.