No. of Recommendations: 14
...at least not when looking for apartment rentals! ;-)

I live on the westside of Los Angeles, an area known for being somewhat apartment-competitive. My BF and I went out last Thursday to view a prospective new place and since I had recently pulled my CR to correct an incorrect derog, I had a copy handy. I figured I'd take it along so that if I liked the place, the landlord would know right off the bat that he was dealing with a trustworthy Fool. We loved the place and the rent is just right! The landlord is a cool guy, so I figured, let's go for it.

I gave him the copy, knowing he'd still have to run my credit and check background and such. He was reviewing it as another couple came in to view the unit. They saw me filling out an app and pretty much left in a hurry. When they did, the landlord told me, "I'm glad they left - your credit is REALLY good! I've never seen a report like this." Now, mind you, I have $15,000 worth of CC debt (steadily chipping away), but I pay my bills. Every month. Without fail. There are no derogs on my report and every single line of credit says "Never Late." He agreed to rent the unit to us on the spot (pending everything else checks out ok)!

I knew my credit was above-average, but it just shocks me to think that mine was the best report our landlord had seen! How many people apply with scary credit? I guess these apartment managers see it all, huh? It's exciting to see good credit that I've worked for open doors (literally!) for me. My boyfriend was witness and he resolved to check out his CR and get 100% on track. I've been drilling it into his head: Do NOT mess with your credit! I don't think he understood the gravity of that statement until he saw what good credit can do for ya. Woohoo!

Begin preparation for Happy Dance!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.