Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
CR

I want to echo jissons sentiments, as I too followed the Wi-lan discussion over here from the SI 'LAST MILE' board and was surprised at the reaction it got. Maybe America isn't as tolerant to freedom of expression as one would think. In fact, as a transplanted Canadian now living down here, I can tell you that if you're looking for any respect from the Americans regarding anything Canadian, you'll be looking for a long time. The fact that Wi-lan is a Canadian company will immediately work against it in this kind of forum. But when Wi-lan moves to the TSE and later, as I believe it will, to the NAZ, you'll probably see a ton of Americans interested in it, all touting the next big thing, and recklessly dumping more than they can afford into it, while others try to get rich off it by day trading. You see, this isn't about how solid a company Wi-lan is (pretty solid so far, from what I've seen.) It's about people like yourself from CANADA!!! coming over here and telling the Americans what you think might be of interest to them. Surely if the company was that much of a sure thing, they'd have been informed of it by their beloved CNNfn or CNBC by now. Canada??? You've got to be joking!

You guys know what it's like for a company that isn't even on the TSE yet. Heck, some canadian brokerage firms won't even be allowed to purchase it as long as it's just trading on the ASE. That's what makes it such an attractive buy, as far as I'm concerned.

So disregard the uninformed flaming, CR. Your good intentions may have been wasted on these snobs, but they just don't get it. Being Canadian, I understand the mindset, and living here I also understand how it clashes with the individualistic, "I don't believe you so you must be wrong", attitude that is sooo pervasive in this country.

I don't think that this is TOTALLY a Canadian vs American issue, but since all you did was provide information, and were met with "Beware of all small Canadian companies", I have to think it plays a big part in it. Funny though, how your company is in bed with companies in Sweden, Netherlands, Africa, and has major interest from the US. If Microsoft is as aware of Wi-lan as they seem to me to be, there MUST be a reason.

Sittler (27)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.