1 Tsp. Baking Soda
2 C. Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, Chopped
1 C. Sugar
1Tsp. Vanilla
3/4 C. Buttermilk
1/4 Tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Pecans, Chopped

Method:
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray bottom only of 9" X 5" loaf pan with cooking spray. Beat butter, sugar, orange peel and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt, add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating at low speed just until blended. Fold cranberries and nuts into batter. Turn into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool slightly in pan. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Cranberry Truffles

Ingredients:
3/4 Cup Butter
1 Can 14 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
1/4 Cup Light Corn Syrup
1/4 Cup Water
Chopped nuts, cocoa powder, confectioners sugar, shredded coconut for toppings

Method:
In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, corn syrup and water. Cook stirring until berries are popped and mixture is thickened. Let cool. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, stir in cocoa then condensed milk. Stir until mixture thickens. Stir in cooled cranberries. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or until well chilled. Shape into one inch balls. Roll in toppings. Store in the refrigerator.

Yield:
48 one inch truffles

Cranberry Filled Cookies

Ingredients:
1cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
4 cups Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
1(3”) Cinnamon Stick
1 tablespoon Lavender
1 teaspoon Cardamom, ground
2 pkg. Pre-made Sugar Cookie Dough

Method:
Combine cranberries, sugar, lavender, cardamom, and cinnamon stick in a saucepan and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have burst, about 10 minutes. Remove and discard cinnamon stick, then carefully transfer the cranberry mixture to a blender and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot mixtures). Cool the mixture in the refrigerator until completely cold.

Roll out 1 log of cookie dough until 1/4” thickness is achieved consistently. Using a small round cookie cutter, cut out dough and transfer to a baking sheet, leaving 1/2” space between each cookie. Place 1-2 t of the cranberry mixture in the center of each cookie. Place another piece of round dough on top of the mixture and pinch the edges of the cookie together. At this point the cookies may either be frozen to be baked at a later date, or bake in a 350*F oven for about 10-15 minutes or until a light golden brown.

Yield:
25-35 servings

Sweet Potato Soufflé

Ingredients:
6 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons grated orange zest
1/4 cup whipping cream or half and half
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
1 cup miniature marshmallows

Method:
Boil the potatoes with skins on until tender. Peel and mash. Place potatoes and remaining ingredients, except the marshmallows, into large mixing bowl and ship with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Place in baking dish and top with marshmallows. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until marshmallows brown and the dish is hot.

Cranberry Couscous

Ingredients: (4 servings)
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup chopped white onion
1 ½ cups cranberry juice cocktail, heated to a simmer
1 cup couscous
¼ cup chopped pistachios
2 scallions green parts only
½ cup sweetened dried cranberries
salt and pepper (to taste)

Method:

In a medium saucepan add olive oil.
Add the white onion, sweetened dried cranberries and pistachios, and saute gently over low heat until onion is translucent and slightly fragrant.
Add the couscous and the warm cranberry juice cocktail.
Stir with a fork to combine, cover.
Let sit for 10 minutes.
Add the scallions. Fluff with fork.
Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
Turn into serving dish.
Serve hot.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
No. of Recommendations: 0
Cranberry Apple Cake - Mmmmmmmmmm

anything with a whole stick of butter in it has to be good.....

C'mon recipe-boarders--any other cranberry recipes? I need to plan on what I'm taking to the relatives next month.
C'mon recipe-boarders--any other cranberry recipes?

Vodka and Cranberry....... Mmmmmmmmmmmm <g>
No. of Recommendations: 1
Simple is good - I like cranberries best simply boiled in simple syrup until the cranberries pop open - I prefer a 1:1 ratio of water to sugar, but you can dilute it up to around 3 parts water to 1 part sugar...

I only browsed over the more fancy recipes. I WILL go back and take a closer look.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Simple is good - I like cranberries best simply boiled in simple syrup until the cranberries pop open - I prefer a 1:1 ratio of water to sugar

That had always been me until a couple of years ago when I ran across this somewhere for the cooking liquid for 2 bags:

Juice from 1 orange plus water to make 1 3/4 c.
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt

I loved it.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Yup, that's what I did last year for thanksgiving - it's simple and great.
That had always been me until a couple of years ago when I ran across this somewhere for the cooking liquid for 2 bags:

Juice from 1 orange plus water to make 1 3/4 c.
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt

I use 1 c sugar per bag of cranberries (or per whatever the typical bag holds, if I get my cranberries loose), the amount of water in their instructions, and julienne the peel of about half an orange per bag (make sure not to get the pith, just the peel). Combine the water, sugar, and orange peel, bring to a boil, add the cranberries and cover. Cook till popped.

sheila
Cranberry-Pecan Muffins from America’s Test kitchen (See; http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=... )

C.J.V.
Cranberry-Pecan Muffins from America’s Test kitchen

Printed!

Two more--these are from OceanSpray:

Quick Cranberry Nut Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 14-ounce can Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.

Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small mixing bowl; set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine with sugar in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Break up cranberry sauce with a fork and add to the butter mixture. Add nuts. Add dry ingredients to the cranberry mixture, mixing just until the dry ingredients are moist.

Spread batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. If bread begins to brown too quickly, loosely cover with foil and continue to bake until bread tests done.

Makes 1 loaf.

This one looks easy and fool-proof (small 'f'):

Cranberry Apple Crisp

Ingredients:

5 cups sliced tart apples (about 6 medium apples)
1 1/2 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.

Pare and core apples. Layer apples and cranberries in pan sprinkling with sugar as you layer. Mix flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Work in butter until light and crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over apples and cranberries.

Bake 45 minutes or until apples are tender.

Makes 9 servings.
Apple Cranberry Pie
Ingredients
•2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
•1-3/4 cups sugar
•1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
•1/4 cup water
•2 teaspoons grated orange peel
•3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
(Optional: 1/2 to 2/3 cup pecans)
•Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
•1 egg white, beaten
•1 tablespoon water
•Additional sugar
Directions
•In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, tapioca, water and orange peel; let stand for 15 minutes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in apples. Set saucepan in a pan of cold water for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
•Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Pour filling into crust. Top with remaining pastry or a lattice crust. If using a full top crust, cut a few slits in it.
•Beat egg white and water until foamy; brush over top pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely. Yield: 8 servings.

This is from Taste of Home. We add pecans to our pie.

Phred
Regal Cranberry Cheesecake

1 c graham cracker crumbs (we sometimes use Oreo crumbs)
3 T sugar
3 T melted butter

Combine and press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan, bake 10 min @ 325.

3 8 oz packages cream cheese
3/4 c sugar
2 T flour
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 1/2 c cranberry orange sauce, chilled ( 1 1/4 cup cranberry sauce, 1/4 c orange marmalade)

Combine cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla until well-blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Blend in sour cream; pour over crust. Bake @ 450 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 250 and bake 30 additional minutes. Loosen from rim, cool, chill. Spoon sauce over, garnish with a long twist of orange peel.

This is a wonderful holiday dessert, and it is tart and elegant rather than cloyingly sweet. It doesn't matter if the cheesecake cracks on top, since the sauce goes over it anyway. This is one of those that makes a stunning presentation, disproportionate to the ease of making it. It's from the Philidelphia Cream Cheese Cheesecake Book from '89.
Regal Cranberry Cheesecake

three 8 oz packages cream cheese

Oh

My

Word.

That does sound decadent--and impressive.

Btw --the previous pie recipe also sound good--but pies are out for me to bring since my cousin (who is one of the hosts of the dinner) bakes pies professionally and always bakes some for these holiday events. And they are awesome--I could never even come close to her pies. I'll keep it in mind for another time, though. Thanks for sharing.
three 8 oz packages cream cheese

Oh

My

Word.

That does sound decadent

Sounds like someone's on a diet to me. Now here's a cheesecake:

http://boards.fool.com/cheesecake-12631228.aspx

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Now here's a cheesecake:

http://boards.fool.com/cheesecake-12631228.aspx

That sounds incredible! And there's so little flour in it that I should be able to manage that, since I'm gluten intolerant, not celiac. (And I'll use 00 or pastry flour to keep the gluten content low.)

The OP suggests vanilla extract to improve the flavor. I would want to try almond extract.

sheila
Sounds like someone's on a diet to me. Now here's a cheesecake:

Ha Ha! You're right, Phil. Relative to the recipe in your link, we could consider the 3-8 oz packages of cream cheese 'low calorie'!
I'm gluten intolerant, not celiac.

I believe this describes me as well Sheila. I never seemed to have issues with say, a sandwich made with regular bread, but Lord Almighty-- anything with added gluten (primarily vegetarian meat substitutes) I had a noticeable reaction--headaches in particular. I finally traced it to the gluten in these products when I had a severe reaction to homemade seitan (which is vital wheat gluten + water and a small amount of seasoning--so basically pure gluten). The episode prompted me to compare all those foods where I developed headaches after eating (I was hoping it was just a coincidence) and every single one had gluten listed as one of the primary ingredients (boca burgers and smart dogs would give me headaches, but gardenburgers and tofu pups did not--comparing them, the ones that triggered headaches were the ones with gluten as a main ingredient--so mystery solved). Notably, the buns did not seem to have an adverse effect--so that's why I think I am merely gluten sensitive/intolerant vs a full-blown celiac.

Sorry for the ramble. I just never came across anyone who didn't have a binary attitude towards it. I am pleasantly surprised to find someone else feels as I do. (I will be having some of my cousin's incredible pumpkin pie, btw--maybe eat the entire crust).

That said, I do avoid gluten as much as possible because of the aversion I developed to it from the seitan episode. Better Batter gluten-free flour is a wonderful substitute for regular flour. It has xanthan gum already in it. A 5-lb bag lasts forever (you can order it directly from the betterbatter.org site for $25 including s&h--it's $20 plus $5 shipping--and sometimes there is a free shipping offer. Vitacost and glutenfreemall.com carry it too). If you want to make a graham cracker crust for the cheesecake--Kinnikinnick's gluten-free Graham-Style Cracker Crumbs (available at some brick-and-mortar stores as well as online) taste exactly like regular graham cracker crumbs. I always keep both these products in my pantry.
Sorry for the ramble. I just never came across anyone who didn't have a binary attitude towards it.... I think I am merely gluten sensitive/intolerant vs a full-blown celiac.

No apologies needed. Or accepted ;-). But I do want to clear up a few points. Gluten intolerance and celiac disease aren't different points on the same spectrum. They are two completely different health problems. Gluten intolerance is a local reaction to gluten that is confined to the intestines, and produces a local inflammatory reaction that impairs the ability of the villi--the little finger-like structures that absorb nutrients from digested food and pass them to the bloodstream--to do their job effectively. It also creates symptoms like gas, bloating, discomfort or pain. And hearing you--headaches. What I experience, and the intensity, depend on how much gluten I've had. And one thing that also happens to me if I do a significant cheat is that my legs get incredibly tired. Initially I had thought it was just my gut that was affected, based on how calm it became and how much better I felt about a week and a half into my 2-week gluten-free trial. And based on a high-gluten content meal I had about 2 months later, because there was nothing else to eat (wow, that was painful!). It was when I had to go back on gluten for 2 weeks to be tested for celiac disease that I discovered what happens to my legs. We have stairs in our apartment and boy, that became an effort.

Celiac disease is a systemic condition, because it's an autoimmune disease. The body produces antibodies to certain molecules that make up gluten, but the problem is that the intestinal lining contains some molecules that are so similar that these antibodies can't tell the difference--and the attack the intestinal lining too. This severely damages the villi, although they can recover if gluten is completely withdrawn. It takes 6-8 months in a younger person, and up to 2 years in someone older. But if gluten is not withdrawn, in addition to the unpleasant physical symptoms, there is serious malnutrition because of the malabsorption, significant anemia will eventually develop, and there is a high risk of intestinal cancer and certain leukemias. And that's why celiac patients can't cheat, but you and I can.

And one other area that's affected with some celiac patients--and often the only area with symptoms--and that's the skin. People who get an itchy rash and/or blisters when they eat gluten.....that's a type of celiac disease, although many people, including doctors, don't realize this.

The reason that I had to go back on gluten for 2 weeks before the blood test to see how serious, or not, my gluten problem is, is because I had been off gluten for several months, which is enough time for antibodies--if I had been producing them--to have disappeared. So if I'd been celiac, the blood test would have given me a false negative. If I had been celiac, then eating a sufficient daily gluten load for 2 weeks would have restored my antibody levels to detectable levels.

I can't get away with eating breads and crackers and pastries etc with gluten-containing grains. (During those 2 gluten weeks, I couldn't believe how lousy I felt.) I can eat certain pastas from time to time--the ones made with 00 flour at the Italian pasta place down the street from me. And when I still (rarely) do some baking, that's the flour I use. And I do okay with my lightly breaded chicken cutlets, though for the flour dip before the egg coating, I now use a mix of chickpea and coconut flour instead of white wheat flour.

Thanks for the GF flour and graham cracker-like recommendations. I get 2 pancake mixes, one breakfast type and one savory (great with spicy veggies in them). I've found some very nice GF breads and crackers. And btw.....I'd suggest iHerb.com instead of vitacost. I've switched over totally, for supplements, some personal products, and some food and household cleaning products. Not only a fabulous selection, but with the increasing discount as your total increases, and the free shipping past a very modest total amount, it not only matches or betters vitacost.com in price, but you KNOW your package will be shipped out the next day and arrive in 1-3 days. I got totally disgusted with vitacost, because an order would arrive anywhere from 2-10 days. I complained to them once, telling them I'd switched because of it, and the answer was yes we know it's a problem, and we're trying to improve.

I also have several pretty good health food stores fairly close by, 2 with nice discounts.

Anyway....lucky you that you can still eat regular bread and pastries! Giving up good spelt bread, and English muffins, and my pasta place's pappardelle cut pasta.....tough tough tough!

sheila
Two of my standby's. I froze 10 gallons of cranberries this season as I had no time to process them.

Cranberry cake

2 c. cranberries
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. chopped nuts

put above ingredients into a pie plate

mix
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. melted butter
1 c. flour

pour over ingredients in pie plate

bake at 325 for 45 min

Cranberry sauce

1 1/2 gallons cranberries
7 c. sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

put into a large heavy pot on stovetop

bring to a boil and lower temp to maintain a simmer

simmer until most berries pop and mixture thickens somewhat

Process through food mill.

Makes approx 10 - 12 cups of sauce.

Teri ... expects a freezer full of sauce in the next few weeks. Also makes a version containing apples with the berries and less sugar.