No. of Recommendations: 0
MBPro Retina (late 2013) running High Sierra (yes, still).LOL

Only recent update was the newest update to Safari day before yesterday.

Turned on computer last night and all I got was an installation error log with about 100 statements all including the word "crash" on it. Plus the statement that "Mac OS installation couldn't be completed. The installation log may help you diagnose...click save log."

Panic/Panic - have never had that happen to me like that. A bonefide "crash" - tried to boot up at least 4 more times, same thing each time. This is what I did:

1. Went to utilities ran First Aid repair disk (my Hard Drive)....nothing changed when rebooting

2. Rebooted in "Safe Mode" - again rebooted no change. Same log (I did save the error log to my Hard Drive , it wouldn't allow me to save to "Root")

3. Held down "D", this showed that "power adapter not tested" so I removed the magnetic power cable, and plugged in the original power cable that came with the MBPro when I bought it. Again no joy.

4. Recieved notification that "Options for Apple Support available".....(Well, obviously I knew that, hmpf).

5. Called Apple Support -relayed to tech what I had experienced and what I did.....she laughed and said I had done everything she would have suggested I try and perhaps I should bring to Genius at Store...she mad appointment for next Wednesday (fully 6 days away) for me.

6. thanked her, hung up and tried one more time, rebooted on battery only....(had removed all peripherals before I even tried anything, before step one).

7. Would you believe it booted up showing no problems, and all seems ok. I re-plugged in my Time Machine backup, and made another backup just in case. I forgot to mention, Time Machine in my "toaster" had been acting very erratically for the past week. Seemed to be cycling on and one....preparing for backup over and over again. (may be related to above problem, IDK....)

1st thing this morning, rebooted machine, no apparent problems at the moment. All seems ok.

Questions:
1. Why the crash?
2. What caused it?
3. Did I really fix it, if so how?
4. Did it fix itself (more likely, but how and why)
5. Did I do everything I should have and will it happen again....if so, what should I do?

thanks for reading this overly long report....any suggestions, answers welcome.

thx,
Tuni (breathing deep sighs of relief)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.