Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
OK, "cash back" on credit card purchases is nice. But what I don't understand is why one is asked to "activate" it. At least Chase does this. They are asking you to CHOOSE to get cash back. Why would I NOT want cash back? One has to assume that by activating it, you are agreeing to something more than just getting cash handed to you. What, precisely, is that? If it were only about getting cash back, then why the hell don't they just do it for everyone without asking?
Print the post Back To Top
The chase card you are referring to has some cash back which is automatic. 1% on everything and 2 or 3 % on other categories. Then they have 5% on one or two categories that change every quarter.. Those 5% categories have you Activate them for the quarter. This is a marketing thing to keep you looking at the website every few months. I generally like Chase cards but the activation can be annoying.
The rewards they offer are better than some others for cards that do not have an annual fee.

They have another card that is 1.5% on all and 3% on some categories.

Citi has what they call a double rewards that gives you 1% on all purchases and another 1% as you pay.

Search on Nerdwallet or bankrate to see the different options if interested.

One word of caution. Keeping a card for a long time and paying it timely helps your creditscore. Switching cards frequently hurts your score.
Timely payments and longer history is best. Also, carrying a balance and paying interest negates all the rewards. Keep an eye on the bigger picture.
The Chase marketing that changes the 5% categories every quarter works well for them.

EG : Say you have a card that gives you 2% on all gas purchases. Chase let’s you know that from Apr to June you will get 5% on gas. So you start using your chase card at the gas station..
After 3 months the 5% is gone and you now get 1% on gas. Will you remember to switch back to the other banks card to get your 2 or 3% that they always give on gas?

This is especially true when they offer 5% on let’s say Streaming service. So you go to Netflix and change the card they bill to the Chase card. You go to Disney and do the same. You get 5% on those for 3 months and maybe just leave it like that later. Chase wins until some other bank makes a better offer.
No. of Recommendations: 3
As noted, it is a marketing strategy to get you to use the card more. A card might also offer promotional financing on a single purchase or a special limited time balance transfer offer. Having you "activate" the offer is just a trick to make sure you are engaged with the opportunity to benefit from increased card activity. Studies show that such engagement is more likely to lead to actual follow-through.

Fuskie
Who notes TMF employs a similar tactic by asking you to respond to a series of questions designed to get you to mentally commit to fully investing along with the managed portfolio...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), 51Jobs (JOBS)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry, everyone. That doesn't answer my question. If it's a marketing strategy, why do they ask if I want it? Just tell me I have it, and I'll be pleased! Hey, a potato chip company can have a similar marketing strategy. Do you want to to taste good, or not? Please respond!

My question AGAIN is why am I being asked if I DO or DO NOT want cash back. Why in the world would I NOT want cash back? Makes absolutely no sense.
P.S. Engagement strategy??? As in, we want to engage you to see if you want us to keep your money? Kinda dumb.
Read Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Cialdini.
Might provide some insight into what is going on here.
Chapter 3 probably provides an explanation.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28815.Influence
No. of Recommendations: 5
My question AGAIN is why am I being asked if I DO or DO NOT want cash back. Why in the world would I NOT want cash back? Makes absolutely no sense.

If you don't like it, get a card that doesn't do it. Fidelity has a 2% on anything card; 3% under some circumstances.

The marketing strategy is to see what attracts you to use a specific card and if you aren't willing to pay attention to switch charges to another card when it ends. It's not much different than loss leaders at the grocery store(where I have an AMEX that pays 6% cashback all the time up to $6000 in purchases)

For me, it's not a big deal to track what is important to me. AMEX has had some interesting things lately - monthly dining statement credits for a year . I am also able to pay insurance with a CC and no fee and AMEX just began offering a statement credit on that as well. I'll switch back to Fidelity after I get the max credit.
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you don't activate it then they don't have to pay the additional rebates. Making you activate the rewards means that you are reading their communications and are more likely to use that card.
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you respond it means that you have read their email or text message. It's to remind you to use their card rather than a competitors. That's all.
Some people have the card but never respond.
The details of the rewards are on page 1 of your monthly statement, Upper Right Hand Corner.
If it's a marketing strategy, why do they ask if I want it? Just tell me I have it, and I'll be pleased!

But if they just gave it to you, they wouldn't know that you were engaged and responding to their marketing. If you have to opt in, they know that you have responded to their marketing, and that you were engaged enough to click to activate it. Then, if you have to go click on it, you are more likely to remember to use your card for those purchases. Plus, if they can get you to respond on their mobile app to activate the offer each quarter, they can count you as one of their "Active mobile customers" to their shareholders and the analysts, even if that's the only thing you do on the app each quarter. See pg 5 of their 2021 Q1 earnings presentation https://www.jpmorganchase.com/content/dam/jpmc/jpmorgan-chas...

As others have said - if you don't like the processes that the card uses, make another card where you like their processes better your primary card.

AJ
Um, when I respond to it, I'm not responding to any marketing. I'm just asking them to yes, give me a rebate. They haven't sold anything to me, one way or the other.

Keep trying folks, you're all failing.
No. of Recommendations: 7
I'm not responding to any marketing. I'm just asking them to yes, give me a rebate.

Whether or not you admit it, it is responding to marketing.
Think of it this way - the marketing is at two different levels. First, they market the card to consumers by offering cash back. Then they market it a second time to incentivize you to use it more by offering additional cash back but in order to make sure you engage with the additional card usage, they make you opt into the promotion.

Fuskie
Who notes the marketing doesn't end just because you signed up for the card...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), 51Jobs (JOBS)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
Um, when I respond to it, I'm not responding to any marketing. I'm just asking them to yes, give me a rebate.

I guess you never took any marketing classes? Rebates are a tried and true form of marketing. There are lots of academic studies on cash back cards, and how issuers use the rewards to increase spending on their cards. Here's one example: https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=3520210021250030...

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 4

You're welcome.
No. of Recommendations: 4

I smell a troll.
Agree!
A Troll who is now a datapoint in Chase Bank’s Marketing Database. Just like I am. Done with this thread.