Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey I'm brand new to this site.

So I got caught in the debt trap too.

It's ironic how I used to be a super frugal saavy person until it came to travel hacking with Credit cards then wanting to build online businesses. It's a lot harder than I anticipated. But everyone's got to learn some way or another right?

So yeah I got some free economy/business/first class flights without paying any monetary cash but realized after being in debt that this is exactly the trap banks wanted us to fall into while continuously digging that hole. No way they can afford to put awesome exquisite fountains in each branch.

How did this debt happen?

Long story short. After I started traveling while saving thousands on air flight costs, I wanted more than just being frugal on plane tickets. I wanted to create something full time online to sustain my primary income source while living like a king in beautiful countries where the currency is much lower than the US currency. Pretty smart idea right?

Let's just say after tons of online business courses, failed online marketing businesses, massively expensive ad spends, and worse of all, bad financial planning (no financial planning actually) I dug too deep in the debt hole.

I do regret many of the big purchases I made but I was 100% in on creating successful online businesses and till this today I am still going that route.

I manage to get myself and mom into $60K debt on Credit cards.

But there's a part of me that doesn't regret the purchases I made because it was a learning experience. I know possess a mindset that will exceed my potentials and get me out of this hole and make millions for sure. I have a personal mentor too who's helping me out, but it never hurts to learn more from other people who may have been in the same hole with me.

Currently I work a crappy office job paying $15/hr in NYC. Fortunately I've been living in an apartment for almost my whole life so rent is $1000/month (That's really CHEAP in NYC!) and yes I'm living with parents so there's no privacy but it's a genius idea to stick around until I fix the problem I made in the first place.

I'm personally tired of living where I am. My closest friends suck, they're not like me in terms of wanting to achieve the financial goal life and creating online businesses or any business in general.

I want to be able to get my own place, temporarily work a better job, and live where the prices are a lot less than NYC, especially on food cost. (Most of income goes to food even though I do my best to eat on a budget)

What I am doing about it?

Well firstly I'm with my mentor discussing ways to tackle my situation at the same time invest with him.

Secondly, I'm hawking my spending and business expenses in order to beat my expenses with my currently income through a spreadsheet.

Thirdly, I want to see if there's a way to work elsewhere, anywhere in the world where I can live a lot cheaper than I would be in NYC, increase income by getting a temporary job that pays more. What this will do is increase my productivity by 20X more and this should affect my monthly income/expenses in a good path.

What do you guys think?

What would you do in my position?
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.