Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I applied for a card to get a discount over the holidays and when the card arrived in the mail it had a credit number listed. It also listed the things on my report that made it lower than it could have been (a couple I get, but there was something about delinquency, which shouldn't be there unless it is really old or an error, so I'm pulling the report to check it out).

Anyway, my credit score on this particular report is 770. I haven't seen a number in a while and I guess I was expecting it to be near 800 by now. I know that's a good number, but does anyone know if there is much benefit to trying to get it up to 800? Do you still get the same rates at 770?

Just curious. One of the things listed was number of accounts and I think i might go through and close a few (this is a result of opening accounts to get discounts, which I then never really use. I can think of at least 2 or 3 accounts that should probably be closed).
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyway, my credit score on this particular report is 770. I haven't seen a number in a while and I guess I was expecting it to be near 800 by now. I know that's a good number, but does anyone know if there is much benefit to trying to get it up to 800? Do you still get the same rates at 770?

740 is normally listed as the minimum score for the best mortgage rates.

Checking your credit report for any mistakes is always a good idea.

Closing accounts doesn't always result in a higher score.
Closing accounts doesn't always result in a higher score.

Right, they base scores on percent utilization of specific cards (like no cards over 30%), right, not total? I was thinking of cleaning up the couple cards that I never use, just for risk management even if it doesn't help my scores...I don't like having a lot of unused cards out there.

740 is normally listed as the minimum score for the best mortgage rates.

So there is really no reason to worry about it, I guess. I just want to clean up a few things.
Right, they base scores on percent utilization of specific cards (like no cards over 30%), right, not total?

Both individual usage and total usage is considered.
No. of Recommendations: 3
"Not all free credit scores are created equal." http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/free_credit_scor...

It's a good read on credit scores.

Utahtea