Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I posted this awhile back, and before I commit the resources to this study, wanted to make sure that it has not been completed elsewhere. I posted on my blog http://worldbeta.blogspot.com/ the following:

In her 2001 book "From Alchemy to IPO" Cynthia Robbins Roth cites a Hambrecht & Quist study of biotech stock movement surrounding clinical trial results (Phases I-III) and FDA approvals. The study examined the 12 months prior to and following the "event".

Is anyone aware of such a study performed elsewhere that is more recent and/or comprehensive (I remember the number of observations being quite small)?

I am confident there is an academic, i-bank, consultancy, or buy-side shop that has done this work somewhere. . .and I don't want to reinvent the wheel if at all possible.

Any biotech hedge funds out there that would be worth contacting?

I have not waded through these papers below, but so far the results I have found include:

Xu (2006), "R&D Progress, stock price volatility, and post-announcement drift: An empirical investigation into biotech firms"

Sharma (2004), "Linking Product Development Outcomes to Market Valuation of the Firm: The Case of the U.S. Pharmaceutical Industry"

Zhang (2006), "Security Market Reaction to FDA Fast Track Designation"
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.