Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

I had a few questions regarding cross border
financial planning ... specifically for those
who are working in the US (through various
work visas) but are not US citizens.

How are 401K accounts settled if one decides
to return to their native country (Canada in
this example). Are there any tax provisions
between the US and Canada that would allow
the individual who has his retirement money
in a 401K plan and decides to return home.

Would it be possible to leave the money in
the account until he/she is eligible for

Would he owe tax to both the US and Canadian
governments? Or simply the US since she/he
earned the money in the US and was never taxed
on the earnings?

Any help would be appreciated

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.