Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've taken the liberty of cross posting WilliB's post here from the Macro Economic Trends and Risks board. Any recs you want to give should be given to him there.
https://boards.fool.com/im-a-modern-woman-in-a-modern-world-...

---------

And that is indeed the dilemma. At this point we individuals are trying to bail out the Titanic with a teacup.

Sure, I've installed solar panels and all that. But I know quite well where this is going. So I'm planting fruit trees and trying to improve the soil on our half-acre suburban lot, attempting to establish a permaculture garden, because I have three grandsons. I really have no idea what they will face, so I'm just thinking, "Well, this couldn't hurt," and that's what I'm doing. I wish we were in a more walkable neighborhood, but that was beyond my pay grade.

The notion that we can go live like colonial pioneers is crazy. Most of the colonial pioneers couldn't even live like colonial pioneers--see Jamestown. Around here, after the depression, even squirrels had almost disappeared. Sure right now we are overrun with deer, but one year of food scarcity would take care of that problem right quick. As for foraging in the woods, well, not a whole lot actually grows in the woods. You can only go so far with blackberries. Back in my impoverished days we did do a lot of foraging, but that only works if no one else is doing it, and it doesn't work all that well even then. You can't support an urban population with a rainforest lifestyle, even if you happen to have a rainforest, which we don't.

So my personal strategy has been to live in a area that will be one of the last to be abandoned by civilization and to try and make the best of it there, trying to maximize survival chances for future generations. I'm hoping that human beings will squeak by on this one, but I don't think that's a sure thing.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.