Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Cross posted from the LBYM board:

Here's the source, it's only a few threads ago.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18988203

When I first read this, for some odd reason I thought it was a TAX question. Now that I've dusted off my glasses, I can see it's not, and unfortunately I have no helpful advice to offer MsPoppy (sorry!).

But I have a different question: when claiming medical expenses as a TAX DEDUCTION (which I have never done...), is what you claim supposed to be the full amount of the bill, or just your out-of-pocket expenses (co-pay)?

I've always assumed the latter, so never bothered to pursue it, but MsPoppy's post makes me want to ask - just to be sure.

You claim your NET expense. If your insurance coverage only requires co-pays, that's all you claim. If you pay the doctor in full and get reimbursed by the insurance company, you claim the net out-of-pocket expense. Of course, none of this provides any tax benefit until the total out-of-pocket exceeds 7.5% of your AGI.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.