Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Wow! Took me awhile to find this board. Since CSTR is now OUTR I thought the board would be converted or something.

Anyway, I just heard about the dutch auction tender offer made by the board to buyback $350,000,000 worth of stock. As I understand it I can call my broker and tell them to take no less than $xx for the stock and see if it gets purchased. I guess I could offer the max (~$76) but I'm leaning toward holding.

Reasoning:
1) I've already sold a portion of my holding giving me back my full principle. I know this is not a good way to value a stock but its a great way to sleep at night.

2) PE's are still very reasonable.

3) This article http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/10/this-dvd-re... makes some good points about why the DVD isn't necessarily dead. It's interesting how I see myself described in some of the customer behavior suggested in the article.

4) This buyback is a result of a push by Jana Partners who owns 13.5% of the stock. I would suspect they aren't tendering any of their shares and expect more value to be returned to shareholders. This article http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hedge-funds-are-crazy-about... was of interest. "… OUTR's outstanding share count [could] be roughly 30% lower in three years. According to media reports, Jana believes this is a positive first step but will continue to explore a strategic review of the company."

5) Cash flow is being pumped back into other ventures at a rate that still allows for these share repurchases. Thats pretty strong cash flow, one that I don't mind hanging onto for a while to see if some of it comes my way.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this stock. Especially in regards to the stock buyback.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.