Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
Although I understand the business logic guiding The Motley Fool, TMF has done very little to improve their boards since ... well, 2000. Eighteen plus years of benign and not-so-benign neglect. For many years, this was probably a good idea. Other options emerged but the Fool boards still attracted many worthwhile participants. Bully for the Fool for squeezing out so much from the boards with a few plug nickels of incremental capital.

But the editing and search tools are just too lackluster in 2019. I want to add attachments. Share videos. Use a forum designed for high speed internet, not dial-up.

Other options like MicroCapClub or Slack groups or FinTwit are so much better. I feel like a schmuck using these Ye Olde Boards when so many other superior alternatives exist; at some point my Fool board utilization is nostalgia-driven and habit rather than an intelligent choice.

The Fool boards have turned into miniature forums with one or two or three dedicated posters per board. This doesn't work. This level of participation is better suited for private exchanges not public online boards.

Also, it's a good time to wind down this Stereo8 board as alts shift to C-Corps and FRE emphasis and deemphasize some of their weird, unique attributes.

So it's time to say goodbye to the Fool. I'm sure this is going to be a long goodbye, I'm not cutting it out cold turkey. But I've already shifted away from the Fool; I'm not going to check the boards daily anymore. Then I won't check weekly ... monthly ... the end.

Loved it here but the landlord hasn't done the required maintenance. It shows. Time to pack up my stuff and go.

ET

P.S. I've enjoyed posting and interacting immensely on this board and on many other Fool boards.

In some ways, I grew up (as an investor) on the boards. And as a person. Started posting before I got married with modest capital. Now I'm older, richer, married and with kids. My happiness and success is partly due to the relationships cultivated on this website.

Wish I could bid adieu to posters and participants no longer active on the Fool but who influenced me greatly. Many of them are wonderful people I never got to thank personally.

Godspeed and happy investing to each and every one of you. May you be rich in the ways that really matter.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.