Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
the company in TX that owns all our radio stations has decided what music we shouldn't be hearing in light of the ongoing crisis:

other choices, critics and musicians say, are less explicable because they have little literal connection to the tragedies.

These include "Ticket to Ride" by the Beatles, "On Broadway" by the Drifters and "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John. Even odder, some songs on the list are patriotic, like Neil Diamond's "America." Others speak of universal optimism, like Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World," and others are emotional but hopeful songs that could help people grieve, like "Imagine" by John Lennon, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel, "Peace Train" by Cat Stevens and "A World Without Love" by Peter and Gordon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/19/arts/music/19POPL.html
Print the post Back To Top
the company in TX that owns all our radio stations has decided what music we shouldn't be hearing in light of the ongoing crisis:

And so it begins. I can't hear Imagine on the radio now? Too subversive or something? Too much talk of respecting and loving the people around you? Wouldn't want any of that crap around here in America the Brave.

So I suppose the Met is going to take down O'Keefe's Red White and Blue because it's got a skull on a red, white and blue background. That might offend someone. And Jaspar John's White Flag clearly has to come down. Definitely un-American. And deKooning has one hanging in Chicago called Excavation. Outta there. No way we want anyone thinking about that word.

Slippery slope.

Mitten
No. of Recommendations: 4
I say whatever it takes to get "Bennie and the Jets" off the air.

R-r-r-r-r-rick
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I say whatever it takes to get "Bennie and the Jets" off the air.>>

Damn, beat me to it, genius.

-chris
<whatever it takes to get "Bennie and the Jets" off the air>

I'll second that emotion.

j
Great. With all these songs taken off the air, we're going to be left with the all-Bangles, all the time station.

What? Walk Like An Egyptian is banned too?

Never mind. Guess it'll have to be the all-Go-Gos station instead.

--WP

(The complete list is here. You fix the site name.) http://www.f***edcompany.com/extras/clearchannel_email.cfm

No. of Recommendations: 5

Yeah, the songs generally suck. But the fact that they are "inappropriate" is just another abridgement of civil liberties. Policing what constitutes "bad taste" in the wake of a national tragedy sounds so Soviet, and far from where we were even five minutes ago. As I said immediately: the minute we deviated from our normal activities, and "changed", the war was over, and we lost.

Any and all reponses to tragedy are appropriate. Some are laced with wisdom, and some are laced with dark comedy, and some are laced with camp, but all return us to "normal" a lot more than shelving certain expressions does. And some are simply more provocative than the mindless jingoist camp we have been hearing. I'd rather listen to Bennie and the Jets, which at least has the word "mohair" in it, and oblique references to spaced out lesbians, than God Bless America, with its overt references to fascism ("guide through the night with a light from above") and mindless lockstep tribalism ("from the mountains...to the oceans white with foam) any day.

So what if they're privately owned? Boycott 'em.

You want more CIA action? You want to give them an even freer hand?

http://www.robertscheer.com/1_natcolumn/01_columns/091701.htm

jps
Policing what constitutes "bad taste" in the wake of a national tragedy sounds so Soviet, and far from where we were even five minutes ago.

What I was actually thinking when I first read the article was the inverse; that we allowed a company like that to police what constituted good taste (ie what they would play on the radio when left entirely to themselves and the focus groups that they probably misinterpreted according to whatever payola they were taking in) was already bad enough.
No. of Recommendations: 16
Yeah, the songs generally suck. But the fact that they are "inappropriate" is just another abridgement of civil liberties.

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=Civil%20liberty

Civil libertyn 1: one's freedom to exercise one's rights as guaranteed under the laws of the country [syn: political liberty] 2: fundamental individual right protected by law and expressed as immunity from unwarranted governmental interference

The term civil liberties gets thrown around quite a bit, and not always used appropriately. For Clear Channel to state an internal policy that says certain songs will not be played by its stations is NOT a violation of a civil liberty. The US government telling Clear Channel not to play those songs would be such an abridgement, but Clear Channel doing it to itself is not.

There is a big, big difference here. In fact, this is an example of a civil liberty being granted, not taken away, for Clear Channel was able to make a decision like this for itself.

That said, I still think it is a poor decision, and one I disagree with. I think it shows overmanagement. But I don't think it violates a "civil liberty."

--Pup
No. of Recommendations: 6

Civil libertyn 1: one's freedom to exercise one's rights as guaranteed under the laws of the country [syn: political liberty]...

The term civil liberties gets thrown around quite a bit, and not always used appropriately. For Clear Channel to state an internal policy that says certain songs will not be played by its stations is NOT a violation of a civil liberty.

This would be true were the laws of the country not currently favoring the consolidation of media to simple national enterprises and the marginalization of local free expression.

I'm getting a broadcast right now of a Pakistani press conference, hyper-critical of America (in many places rightly so), in which it has been said that the first priority of Pakistan is to defend its borders. "Lay off" was said, in English. I've turned on four networks and checked CNN website and no mention yet, even though the press conference has been going on for over half an hour now. The national media are too concerned with checking their playlists to see what constitutes appropriate programming, I guess.

jps

<<I'd rather listen to Bennie and the Jets>>

There is no logical way to finish this sentence.

-chris
No. of Recommendations: 2
Actually, I'd like to get that "Who let the Dogs out" banned. But anyway, obviously some songs on the list might be in questionable taste, given the recent circumstances. But I couldn't see the logic in banning some of the other songs. Frex:

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
This is about the emotions Bono felt when he heard of an IRA terror bombing. We shouldn't hear this...why?

Cat Stevens - Morning has Broken.
This song is about praising God for the beauty of the morning (and it barely mentions God). I believe the lyrics are traditional Irish. Perhaps it's banned because Cat Stevens is Muslim. Hmmm.

The Surfaris - Wipeout
No lyrics. I suppose they're afraid that just hearing this song will cause people to go berzerk. However I do remember a tequila-realted incident when a band played this song at a frat party.

John Lennon - Imagine
This is a pro-peace song. I guess this is contrary to the Clear Station political mindset?

Bruce Springsteen/Edwin Star - War
Anti-war song.

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
About a man who kills his wife. I don't see how it relates to the current situation.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge.
Herion addiction. Another one where I don't see the problem.

Beatles - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Reportedly about drug use.

Beatles - a Day in the Life
I'm not sure what this one is about actually But why ban it?

Nina - 99 Luft Ballons.
Anti-nuclear war song.

Cat Stevens - Peace Train
Peace anthem. Do I detect a pattern? And by a Muslim too...

Simon and Garfunkle - Bridge over Troubled Waters
I think this song is about two lovers breaking up. Is that right? Anybody see the problem?

Don Mclean - American Pie
I never could figure out what this song was about either. I guess it must be about something bad :)

No. of Recommendations: 1
But I couldn't see the logic in banning some of the other songs. Frex:

Best guess is that there are individual lines that "sound bad," particularly when taken out of context.

Broken bottles under children's feet
Bodies strewn across the dead end street
The real battle just begun
To claim the victory Jesus won

John Lennon - Imagine
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

... and so on.

Again, I think it is a weak minded decision, and that for many of these songs, you really have to stretch to make it sound bad.

Cat Stevens - Morning has Broken
Cat Stevens - Peace Train
Maybe they particularly don't like Muslims who changed teams?

Simon and Garfunkle - Bridge over Troubled Waters
I think this song is about two lovers breaking up. Is that right? Anybody see the problem?

Besides the fact that I can't stand this song (and normally like S&G), I can't find anything here. Maybe they thought it would be too emotional for people to handle? If so, the decision is even weaker.

--Pup

No. of Recommendations: 11
Any and all responses to tragedy are appropriate.

No. It's not appropriate to take a plane full of people and ram it into a 110 story building also filled with people. I don't care if you have suffered all the tragedy in the world, that kind of response is not appropriate, and it needs to be stopped.

I could acknowledge that it might be appropriate if the plane was empty and the building was empty, but not when full.

Rick
No. of Recommendations: 7

Any and all responses to tragedy are appropriate.

___

No. It's not appropriate to take a plane full of people and ram it into a 110 story building also filled with people.

Jesus, what a cheap shot. We were talking what to play and what to listen to, cultural and intellectual responses, not physical responses. "Any and all responses that don't abridge the liberty of other units of intelligent biomass" felt a bit stiff.

jps
No. of Recommendations: 37
Jesus, what a cheap shot.

If you think so. I have yet to read one word or detect a reaction from you that supports any kind of violent and strong reaction to what has happened. The latest now from you is that Pakistan (and maybe Afghanistan by extension) is somewhat justified in being one of the few countries in the world to hesitate and say no to terrorism of unheard of proportion. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Pakistan is also one of the few countries that recognizes the Taliban as a real government too, and by extension, supports the terrorist behind such an unforgiveable action.

If Canada offered safe harbor to a holy war advanced by the Reverend Jerry Falwell, you might see it differently. Mybe not.

Rick
This is about the emotions Bono felt when he heard of an IRA terror bombing. We shouldn't hear this...why?

No. It's about Bloody Sunday. On January 30, 1972, soldiers from the British Army's 1st Parachute Regiment opened fire on unarmed and peaceful civilian demonstrators in the Bogside, Derry, Ireland, near the Rossville flats, killing 13 and wounding a number of others. One wounded man later died from illness attributed to that shooting.

Bullet

I never could figure out what this song was about either. I guess it must be about something bad :)

it's about how the death of Buddy Holly affected popular music (we 'got' "Desolation Row" and "Sympathy for the Devil" instead of more "Peggy Sue"?)

WAG: it's about how the death of one person can negatively affect a whole culture..... and since War is mostly about killing many random people, it's not good.

thus, it's an anti-war song. Obviously Verboten

(either that, or ... seem to recall McLean was Buddhist and that's the same as Muslim? )

makes perfect sense if you're trying to stir up support for a long war.

-jpt
.......sarcastic.

Unless all songs about plane crashes are verboten?

--Mike
No. It's about Bloody Sunday. On January 30, 1972, soldiers from the British Army's 1st Parachute Regiment opened fire on unarmed and peaceful civilian demonstrators in the Bogside, Derry, Ireland, near the Rossville flats, killing 13 and wounding a number of others.

Yep, you're right. Thanks for the correction.
<< Don Mclean - American Pie

Unless all songs about plane crashes are verboten?

OK, I haven't checked, but have they forbidden "Leaving On a Jet Plane" and "Fire and Rain"??? That would be silly.

(Quick check)

My god, they have!!!

Next thing you know, I won't be able to buy a boxcutter at the hardware store.

(Please don't tell me that someplace has already done just that).

-synchronicity

And along the same lines, since Frank Sinatra is apparently dangerous ("New York, New York"), I guess I can't be in a New York state of mind?
Odd that Lee Greenwood didn't make the list, no?

<sarcasm>

Foolishjk
I have yet to read one word or detect a reaction from you that supports any kind of violent and strong reaction to what has happened.

I don't know how you have missed my anger (which is, I ever hope, strong but not violent). I have been expressing abundant anger at the conditions that have produced this tragedy. That has been my best and most sincere reaction. The fact that it is indeed a tragedy I think is implicit to that.

The latest now from you is that Pakistan (and maybe Afghanistan by extension) is somewhat justified in being one of the few countries in the world to hesitate and say no to terrorism of unheard of proportion....

Not true, not true at all. So far from truth as to be slanderous, in fact. I said that the Pakistani Press Conference I was listening to was hypercritical of America, and that in some places I thought it was rightly so, and also I was only astondished that the media were not covering this conference live. That is quite a far cry from saying that Pakistan (and maybe Afghanistan by extension) is justified for harboring terrorism. The "extension" was all yours.

Perhaps it is no coincidence that Pakistan is also one of the few countries that recognizes the Taliban as a real government too, and by extension, supports the terrorist behind such an unforgiveable action.

Again, you are making quite an extension. Our own government has given the Taliban more money than Pakistan has. By "extension"...

Never mind, it's just not what anyone wants to hear right now. Everyone wants patriots and plastic flags. Everyone wants a zeal to match the zeal of the Taliban.

I maintain that when we lose our ability or will to criticize the actions of religion, of people, of government, of ourselves, that is when we lose civilization.

jeanpaulsartre
<<U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
This is about the emotions Bono felt when he heard of an IRA terror bombing. We shouldn't hear this...why?>>

<No. It's about Bloody Sunday. On January 30, 1972, soldiers from the British Army's 1st Parachute Regiment opened fire on unarmed and peaceful civilian demonstrators in the Bogside, Derry, Ireland, near the Rossville flats, killing 13 and wounding a number of others. One wounded man later died from illness attributed to that shooting.>

Thank you...some accuracy, finally.

j
Just wondering... is Rock the Casbah on the list?
<Never mind, it's just not what anyone wants to hear right now. Everyone wants patriots and plastic flags. Everyone wants a zeal to match the zeal of the Taliban.>

I personally disagree. This precisely what I want to hear. We need counterpoint to the jingoistic blather coming off the airwaves via the so called national media conglomerates. FoxNews is coming dangerously close to sounding like the Hearst rags during the Spanish-American War (a war over something that never happened). Lots of heated rhetoric and drum-beating. I love watching the nitwits on TV wrap themselves in the flag. Truly scoundrels.

And to deny that our own failed policies had a great deal to with this is just willful blindness. Yes, the terrorists are completely responsible for hijacking those planes. We are also responsible for not monitoring our borders better, for being willing to settle for the lowest bid security at our airports, and our complicity in organizing, funding, and training the Afghanis. When you play Metternich's game sometimes you get burned.

Lest you think I am against action you are wrong. I grew up in the army (I'm a "brat") and stay very connected to the community. War fighting doctrine for the US military these days is about denying the other guy the ability to fight (logistics, communication, etc) and killing as few people as possible. Especially ours. The military does everything it can to not go into the teeth of the enemy, not without seriously degrading the opponents ability to fight first. We need commitment right now, the cold, clear, calculating kind. We don't need overheated rhetoric pushing the national command structure to "go get them." My biggest concern with shrub is that he will see this as an opportunity to show us "see, I really am the president." But the old west comments do not inspire much confidence.

j

Just wondering... is Rock the Casbah on the list?

Yes.
What? Walk Like An Egyptian is banned too?

That's OK. Hero Takes a Fall is a better song anyway. And in the video Susanna Hoffs wears fishnet stockings.

And in the video Susanna Hoffs wears fishnet stockings.

flegbo,

I knew if we tried long enough we'd find a subject we could agree on.

--Pup

Walk with an er*ction.

To juxtapose this comment with current events...here's Susanna in 1997 at the World Trade Center:

www.geocities.com/shhomepage/wtc03.jpg

No fishnets. Sorry.

--WP

FWIW, also in the listed in the email from Clearchannel was, quote: "Anything by Rage Against The Machine"

I'm surprised that, at the bottom of the email, they didn't defend their censorship by claiming: "it has to start somewhere; it has to start sometime; what better place than here; what better time than now"

Lights out, Guerilla Radio.

-synchronicity
<<FWIW, also in the listed in the email from Clearchannel was, quote: "Anything by Rage Against The Machine">>

Have they gotten the jump on the next attack and already banned anything by Anthrax?

-chris
mitten wrote on 9/19:
.....And so it begins. I can't hear Imagine on the radio now? Too subversive or something? Too much talk of respecting and loving the people around you? Wouldn't want any of that crap around here in America the Brave. ....

On 9/21 Neil Young sang it to open the fund raiser on TV. Probably the best song last night.

Hops
.....And so it begins. I can't hear Imagine on the radio now? Too subversive or something? Too much talk of respecting and loving the people around you? Wouldn't want any of that crap around here in America the Brave. ....

On 9/21 Neil Young sang it to open the fund raiser on TV. Probably the best song last night.

The best song was Jose Feliciano singing "Walk like an Egyptian."

The best song was Jose Feliciano singing "Walk like an Egyptian."

Yeah, but that was censored.

In my opinion, the most moving song was whatever Faith Hill sang. (I really don't remember what it was, and it doesn't matter anyway.) First of all, she's a stunning woman and can sing.

It was the arrangement that was incredible. Here is this white, white woman from the heart of country music. In fact, I believe she was the only country artist allowed to sing besides Willie, who is really more Americana than country. Anway, Ms. Hill went to a black gospel choir, the revival kind, and then asked them to do Marvin Gaye/Motown dance steps. It started slow but built, until everyone was dancing in the aisles. I thought I was at a church service.

The diversity on stage during that performance was stunning. It was a great musical moment, and it's remarkable I can't even recall the song. It doesn't matter. Springsteen ran a solid second, but I expected that from him. Faith Hill was a wonderful suprise.

Rick
In my opinion, the most moving song was whatever Faith Hill sang. (I really don't remember what it was, and it doesn't matter anyway.) First of all, she's a stunning woman and can sing.

Faith Hill sucks.
Faith Hill sucks.

That was the point, war. Her choice of music aside, she is stunning and can sing. She really pulled it together for her piece of the show. Many did, it was a night of excellent performances.

Rick
No. of Recommendations: 8
<<Many did, it was a night of excellent performances.>>

But it was an insult to get a damned stinking Canadian to sing God Bless America - and a rotten singer at that. Why does anyone think Celine Dion is a good singer? Just because you can sing real loud and have a wide octave range doesn't mean you are a good singer - some people with technically good voices simply have no soul. She's one of them. So is Mariah Carey. I think it's a genetic thing and can't be learned or at least is only rarely learned. Marianne Faithful has it and she is a good singer despite rarely sounding pretty.

-chris
But it was an insult to get a damned stinking Canadian to sing God Bless America

I've heard way too much God Bless America in the past week, but I thought the symbolism of Celine doing it was fine. One of the most famous non-natives in pop culture singing that America was the land that she loved, and that it was home sweet home, was by design I am sure.

Hollywood knows how to put on a show, that is for sure. Even when they do it in under a week, and the performers just show up and let it rip, the result is better done than anywhere else in the world. I'm sure that was a big part of the message.

Rick
Celine puts me to sleep. I am not her fan. She is a remarkable story, though. She arrives here unable to speak much English. Her first few interviews, at least the ones I've seen, were funny. She couldn't speak much English. That she moved herself to the top of the pop charts and is very much at home in the US, is amazing to me.

Rick
I ain't got but threeeeeee chords and I ain't sound so fiiiiine
But I woulda sounded better than them pretty girls anytime
Too bad they banned mosta my other soooooongs
I guess we won't know why cause it's blowin in the wind so loooong

<harmonica solo>

God Bless America, land of the freeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Bobby
"Subject: Re: culture police
Author: Trick Date: 9/23/01 4:55 AM Number: 14673

"Celine puts me to sleep."

I see that you're not listening to some Celine, now, hm?

First, what you said, before: I've heard way too much God Bless America this week. It manages to sound more trite and saccharine every time I hear it. Second, I'm with AC. Celine Dion has a great, clear voice with a great range. She is most assuredly not a great singer.

She relentlessly resorts to the now-clichéd Whitney Houston-esque, gospel-derived vocal cadenzas to try to communicate 'feeling'; all she succeeds at doing is communicating that (1) she doesn't understand gospel; and (2) she doesn't understand when that style is appropriate for appropriation [rarely - ed.].

Ugh.

By contrast, Willie Nelson's "America the Beautiful" was the antithesis of Celine Dion, and so much more poignant with his signature understated delivery.

Better song, too.

m
Even when they do it in under a week, and the performers just show up and let it rip, the result is better done than anywhere else in the world. I'm sure that was a big part of the message.

True, and it definitely kicked ass on Live Aid.

<< Why does anyone think Celine Dion is a good singer? >>

< Celine puts me to sleep. >

Celine is a Canadian Skank, and she flashes Canadian Skank Gang symbols when she's on stage.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=10637788

-synchronicity
<<Celine Dion has a great, clear voice with a great range. She is most assuredly not a great singer.

She relentlessly resorts to the now-clichéd Whitney Houston-esque, gospel-derived vocal cadenzas to try to communicate 'feeling'>>

Yes, she just has no idea how to use her voice and seemingly less interest in doing it. It's just that indefinable essence which makes a person an artist or not. There are plenty of people who can paint pretty landscapes or portraits but simply aren't good artists. They have the requisite skills but lack the creativity to interpret. I don't know if DeKooning could have painter happy little trees as well as Bob Ross but I know DeKooning was a better artist.

Not that I wish to profane the name of Bob Ross, a truly cool dude.

-chris
"...Yes, she just has no idea how to use her voice and seemingly less interest in doing it..."

No only that, she is truly insufferable to listen to when she talks.

Mark
Celine is a good singer. It's the songs that are cheesy. Really cheesy.

As for Faith Hill, the way she is marketed is rather offensive. It's as if music is secondary (or ternary) to her face. It's a sign of things to come, talent is optional but being photogenic is a priority. The fact that she is a very average singer is lost on young boys hoping to catch a glimpse of her butt.

Of course, I'd take her any day over Macy Gray. She sings like crap and looks like a crackhead.

The amazing thing is that U2's Bono is on key these days... what's up with that?
I liked Fred Durst (Limp Bizkit) and John Rzeznik's (Goo Goo Dolls) performance. I had to search to find out what the song was and it was Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here with a few lyric changes. Loved it.

Neil Young was particularly good, IMO.

http://www.radioundercover.com/20010922_telethon.html gives the evening's lineup:

Bruce Springsteen - "My City of Ruins"
Tom Hanks
Stevie Wonder/Take 6 - "Love's In Need of Love Today"
George Clooney
U2 w/Eric Clapton, Natalie Imbruglia - "Peace on Earth intro/Walk On"
Muslim kids tape
Will Smith & Muhammad Ali
Faith Hill - "There Will Come A Day"
Kelsey Grammer
Tom Petty - "I Won't Back Down"
Jim Carrey
Enrique Iglesias - "Hero"
Family members tape
Neil Young - "Imagine"
Cameron Diaz
Alicia Keyes - "Someday We'll All Be Free"
Robin Williams
Fred Durst/John Rzeznik - "Wish You Were Here"
Dennis Franz & Jimmy Smits
Billy Joel - "New York State of Mind"
Calista Flockhart & Amy Breneman
Dixie Chicks - "I Believe In Love"
Firemen tape (U2's "One")
Dave Matthews - "Everyday"
Conan O'Brian & Sarah Jessica Parker
Wyclef Jean - "Redemption Song"
Tom Cruise
Mariah Carey - "Hero"
Ray Romano
Bon Jovi - "Living On A Prayer"
Lucy Liu
Sheryl Crow - "I Shall Believe"
Sela Ward & Jane Kaczmarek
Sting - "Fragile"
Julia Roberts
Pearl Jam - "The Long Road"
Chris Rock
Video from moment of silence around the world
Paul Simon - "Bridge Over Troubled Waters"
Robert DeNiro
Celine Dion - "God Bless America"
Clint Eastwood
Willie Nelson and Everybody - "America The Beautiful"

Faith Hill sucks.

Where's the line start?

Jimbo

.......Can she hum ?

Jimbo
No. of Recommendations: 11
The fact that she is a very average singer is lost on young boys hoping to catch a glimpse of her butt.

If Faith Hill is an average singer, I want to live in your world. Go to a karaoke night. That's average. Listen to yourself on tape. You are fortunate if you are average.

Yes, Faith Hill and many other singers are marketed in ways that you find distasteful. Fine. But learn to separate your feelings about those things from your judgement about the state of average.

Again, karoake night at your local dive is average. Give the people who can entertain thousands in live performance their due credit. They've got something going on and on a stage, it isn't just a cute butt.

Get over it.

Rick
U2 w/Eric Clapton, Natalie Imbruglia - "Peace on Earth intro/Walk On"

Thanks Patti. I had no idea that was Clapton and I didn't notice Imbruglia (who is another above average singer with a cute butt.) I was thinking Clapton was Ringo Starr, but he was on guitar. I never placed him.

Rick
No. of Recommendations: 10
If Faith Hill is an average singer, I want to live in your world. Go to a karaoke night. That's average. Listen to yourself on tape. You are fortunate if you are average.

I'm fortunate. There's also about ten waiters at your local Maccaroni Grill who can sing much better than her. And be advised, here in Austin, Karaoke is a religion. People who can't sing, generally don't.

Again, karoake night at your local dive is average. Give the people who can entertain thousands in live performance their due credit. They've got something going on and on a stage, it isn't just a cute butt.

I've also been studying voice for years. I've had the pleasure of being around many many many many many beautiful voices that are being ignored because they don't look like Faith Hill. BTW, it isn't hard to "entertain thousands" when you are rolling the tapes.

Get over it.

Nice.

I'm fortunate. There's also about ten waiters at your local Maccaroni Grill who can sing much better than her. And be advised, here in Austin, Karaoke is a religion. People who can't sing, generally don't.

It might have been nice, but I'll say it again; get over it.

I guess The Gourds never do karaoke?

Rick

Celine is a Canadian Skank, and she flashes Canadian Skank Gang symbols when she's on stage.

Once again, this all time great review by JJ of Celine Dion from 2 1/2 years ago, at the bottom of this infamous post, bears mentioning:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=10694976

jps
Celine is a Canadian Skank

I'm sure you would have been much happier if Jacques Brel or Maurice Chevalier could have taken her place. You fawning French floccinaucinihilipilificator.
I have trouble thinking of Faith Hill as a very average singer.

That aside, why Faith Hill's popularity? I think it is the full package. It is entertainment and more that we pay for. Not just a good voice. It is the package. Lots of folk with good voices I'd never pay to hear.

I doubt that KD Lang's popularity is based upon young boys (or middle-aged girls) hoping to catch a glimpse of her butt (NTTIAWWT). She has a good voice and intrigueing sound, but is probably not the best singer in the universe. Same with the Indigo Girls - pudgie dykes, James Taylor - balding, skinny, angular guy with so so voice amoung the leading artists.

Faith Hill has an average voice? Maybe amoung the elite top 5%. Not amoung the average average. Average is my voice (like geese farts on a muggy day). For average, shutup and listen in church, or during the Star Spangled Banner or during the seventh inning stretch at the ball game. That's average. That ain't Faith Hill.

Beyond that, why the enduring popularity of a James Taylor and the enduring rejection of a John Denver. He had a good voice, probably better than JT. Yet most folk I know hate him. Plastic factor is what I figure. Didn't have the whole package.

So to say someone with a very good voice deserves more success than Faith Hill is like saying every spelling bee champ should have a best seller and world acclaim. Hey, they got the tools.

Hops