Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
cummins,
A good article, especially regarding the CLEC alternative strategies.

But I think Mr Beck is focussed specifically on the telephony aspects of the cable connection. Other Fools may disagree, but I do not anticipate this being part of the @Home "package". I would expect that the cable company would offer both @home service and AT&T telephony as optional value-added services (VAS), rather than AT&T telephony being part of the @Home service.

Why? Because AT&T wants its service to be available to the 48% of homes that currently do not have a PC. Not all of these homes will want to rent or buy a fully-featured set-top box, but might be interested in renting a new phone if the price is right and it saves them money. This means that the telephony service must be available without the @Home package.

From this reasoning (and please, Fools, tell us if you disagree), I conclude that @Home will not themselves be offering telephony as a VAS, and that we are less likely to suffer directly from the problems Mr Beck anticipates.

(I realise that @Home might include a telephony interface on the PC, but this is of negligible value in comparison to the connection itself).

Am I a long way off base?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.