No. of Recommendations: 2
Curiosity is a great thing. But this is a public discussion board. As a member of a premium subscription service, you should visit your service's home pages by selecting the service from the Premium Advice menu at the top of this page and then clicking in the Community/Discussion tab and locate a Help discussion board for a service-specific response to your question.

In this case, without revealing which service held and sold it, I think the company to which you are referring is Buffalo Wild Wings, which is the subject of an all cash buyout offer by Arby's and their parent company, Roarke Capital Group. While there are many Fools unhappy with the price, BDubs has been strugglig this past year with rising chicken prices cutting into margins and an activist takeover by Marcato Capital.

Not anticipating any counter offers, the market quickly bid the stock price up near the offer price, so there is little upside to continuing a position. I would imagine that is the reason for the sell.

When to sell is one of the hardest questions to answer. Ideally, Fools have an idea when they would sell before they open a position, but a company's road can have many twists and turns. Fools try to not make emotional decisions, but that can be difficult when you've given a company every opportunity to fulfill its promise - you hate to give up on it but you're tired of being burned by it. Or it's been a tireless performer and you hate to limit it's potential.

Here's a great Fool School article discussing when to sell:

http://www.fool.com/how-to-invest/thirteen-steps/step-10-don...

For me, if the investment thesis no longer remains intact, that's a good reason to sell, but if the company is performing operationally but that just isn't being recognized by the market, I might tend to be patient and give it more time. Or, if a strong performer reaches 10% of my total portfolio, I'll trim it as a matter of fact because I don't want my portfolio to become too concentrated in a single position. In the absence of one of those two events, I tend to hold for the long term.

Fuskie
Who has a number of long term investments that aren't doing much now but for which he has high conviction that their stories will play out in his favor...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Titan International (TWI), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX), Global Payments (GPN)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: http://tinyurl.com/FoolCode
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.