No. of Recommendations: 1
Currently I make random payments when I feel like it - nothing consistent or significant.

Below is what I just pulled from my lenders website - some are subsidized and most are not.

It is really frustrating that some of these loans are accruing interest and I want to know what my best plan of attack is.

Actually, looks like only 1 is subsidized and the other 5 are not.

Currently, the unsubsidized loans are accruing $197.83/month in interest at a 6.25% interest rate. Add in another $5k unsubsidized loan at 5.41%, and the monthly interest cost will increase to $220.37 at a 6.15% interest rate.

If you are frustrated by seeing the interest accrue, is there any way that you can pay $225/month until you are required to make payments? At least that way, the interest won't be accruing.

If you consolidate, you need to find out if you will lose the subsidy on the subsidized loan. If so, I would wait until the subsidy runs out to consolidate.

You also need to see if your weighted interest rate will increase if you consolidate. It used to be that they would round up to the next 1/8%. If that's the case, you will end up paying more to have convenience of only making one payment. So you will need to decide if that annoyance of having to pay multiple loans is worth saving the extra money.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.