No. of Recommendations: 2

I am so sorry for the many losses in your life.

After my wife passed in 2004, I was left with two teenage girls to finish raising and a mentally handicapped adult son at home. The next year was filled with even greater challenges, that I had to deal with....

Howie52 suggested seeking support, and I would like to expand on that. You may think this means just "moral" support from friends/clergy. Don't forget the help available from the various government agencies. For one, your daughter is probably eligible for Social Security. If you are now her guardian, you can apply on her behalf, and be the payee. You should also look into other living arrangement possibilities. Having her stay with you now may be a free choice you have made. But someday, she will need to live somewhere else. Again, there are many local agencies you should be able to lean on. In my case, I just recently placed my son in an independent living facility where he seems very happy, and the costs are covered by Social Security and the agency that helped me place him.

Do not try to do this alone. Help is available, but you will need to seek it. I wish you well, and pray for your strength in getting through this.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.