Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Tom and Dave,

Of all the Motley Fool books, "Rule Breakers/Rule Makers" is my favorite. Good job gents. Tom, I especially enjoyed the charts (beginning I believe on page 174) that showed charts that very much did resemble someone giving the finger to the rest of us. Due to advancing age and a loss of short term memory, I forget what you called your particular brand of "technical analysis", but it was a scream.

Dave, I know you're hot on AMZH, but I bought my copy at Border's. Figure if I'm going to own a piece of the company, it's in my best interest to add to BGP's revenue stream from time time to time. BTW, both at the local B&N and Border's, the Fool books are on lower shelves rather than at eye level. Gotta do something about that, guys.

My only criticism of the book, actually, is the title. I think "Rule Waivers, Rule Wavers" would have been better, but then I think an elementary Fool accounting book should be called "No Accounting For The Wise, Basic Accounting For Fools" or "Up Your Assets" (even better).

P.S. When's the Fool IPO?
Print the post Back To Top

<<Dave, I know you're hot on AMZH,>>

Damn, I just gotta learn to type. Make that AMZN.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Michael,

Thanks for your kind words! They mean a lot to us.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear 2-3 sentences from you as to why this book was your favorite. That helps us figure out what we did right, so that we can aim to do even more right in future.

Also, if you have a moment, click to here and jot out a 2-3 sentence review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684844001/002-9383513-4934002

We'd appreciate it, though we respect your time!

Foolish best wishes, and thank you again for all your long-term support.

David G.
I've only read the first half (loved it) because that's what I'm really interested in--I've got 2/3rds of my port. in the foolish 2 and am going to use the other third (we're not talking a lot of dollars here, but it is mine) for rule breakers.

I really enjoyed your use of things like evolution theory, the young Henry V, etc. to explain this stuff. Everything crystalized...started to anyway, with your point that rule breaking investing is like venture capitalist investing as opposed to banking.

One comment, if it's important for a young would be Buffet like me to read the second part of the book, I wish you had explained why. I got to the middle and started over at the beginning. I have a feeling I "should" read the rule maker part though, and I no doubt will, but it sort of disconected a little there as far as why I "should" read it if I'm all hot to be a rule breaker.

Thanks,

Tyler
Tyler,

Thanks so much for posting your note. We're so glad you've enjoyed the book so far!

In a way, you've answered your own question about why you "should" read the Rule Maker part of the book by identifying yourself as a would-be-Buffett. Buffett has amassed his huge fortune by signing up for Rule Makers like Coca-Cola. It's tempting to say or think that Rule Makers are less excitiing than Rule Breakers, but Rule Makers have an excitement all their own: taking Coca-Cola as an example, the stock price has appreciated 1200% in the past 11 years. And, if you've developed a taste for corporate intrigue and intense jockeying for first-position, let's not overlook the fact that Coca-cola has recently ousted Pepsi from its decade-old relationship with Universal Studios--not the stuff of complacency.

Fool on!

Gabrielle
BTW, both at the local B&N and Border's, the Fool books are on lower shelves rather than at eye level. Gotta do something about that, guys.

They'd probably need to change their last names, actually. G is that letter of the alphabet that always seems to be the penultimate shelf from the bottom in the Personal Finance section of my Barnes & Noble in Princeton.

Ken..