Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Dad is now in a memory care unit, we got him settled in last weekend.

He had a brief field trip for a doctor's visit and lunch today* and reported that he felt overwhelmed and glad to be going back to the nursing home after.

Mom is....not handling things well right now. There have been a lot of decisions and there is a LOT of paperwork and we've engaged a Lawyer to help us preserve assets during the application for medicaid for my father so there's even MORE paperwork and it's just too much.

Little Sis and I are splitting duties basically - I can take more time off work, so try to make most of the appointments during the day, and Little Sis does what she can at night (help Mom log into accounts and get the information needed for example).

She also worries about the wrong things at odd times....car tag renewals not due for a month, for example. So we spend a lot of time fielding questions about things that do not matter while attempting to get stuff done that DOES matter and is very time sensitive. I've suggested anxiety medicine but so far she's resistant. I might try to see if I can wrestle her into the doctor herself the next planned day off I have.

I've managed to get my taxes and Q's taxes filed; this weekend I plan to work on Little Sis's and my nephew's. My executive functioning is actually holding up well, I'm just at capacity...so some stuff is falling through the cracks, or taking way way longer than usual to complete.

impolite

*An appointment neither of us girls knew about, until it was over, despite us making it clear over and over that we can and will attend, at least via phone. GAH
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.