Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm looking for suggestions of things I can teach my soon-to-be student driver that are not covered in a typical driver's ed program. The goals are:

o Prepare him for real world driving much more comprehensively than the class
o Begin the process of learning car control
o Create an automotive enthusiast

We have had a couple of parking lot lessons so far. They have gone exceptionally well, and have been a great bonding experience. He has grasped the basic control feel and responses, and he can get in and out of a parking space nose first and tail first. He can change a tire, after encountering a drill bit on the ground. He is learning the vision scan pattern and pace, and the difference between looking and seeing. Of course he really enjoys hard acceleration. He knows what ABS feels like and what it does. He is becoming aware of minimum stopping distances. I can't teach him slide recovery or cornering limits in my car because my new Sport Cup 2 tires have such stupendous grip that I haven't even reached their limit yet.

What else should I be teaching him?

Neil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.