Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
My Fooliversary was yesterday. I was hoping to do my annual “my life as a Fool” post - missing for the last few years, I know - but, yet again, I missed it. So what is happening in my life?

I started a new job two weeks ago. This one is with a British engineering firm who have a maintenance contract with a client at the Airport. My job title is Financial Accountant. At the moment, I am prepping data for migration from Microsoft Dynamics Ax to SAP. Go live is in July. It’s a fixed term contract, which means that I am an employee for the next 12 months, so they fund vacation/sick leave/pay the payroll taxes on my earnings not me. I get employer contributions to my equivalent of a 401K.

Yes, it’s another contract but the contrast with the Swedes couldn’t be greater. No second-class citizen status; no “workingwith” email addresses. I have had an induction! The atmosphere in the office couldn’t be more different, too. They feel like a team.

The money is good. Payday was Thursday and my take-home pay was more for 3 weeks’ work than I used to take home in a month when I worked for JEC (they pay three weeks in arrears, a week in advance). If my calculations are correct, I should have about £1,000 more disposable income a month, which is huge. I’m trying to figure out what to do with this largesse. Yes, I know it won’t last, but I want it to make the biggest bang for my buck so will invest it and won’t be giving myself a pay rise.

There are complications, too. I am paying all the household bills. DH was made redundant 6 months ago and his unemployment benefits will cease shortly. (Not only do they pay a pittance in the UK, but it doesn’t last long.). He has had a few days work, here and there, but nothing reliable. Nobody wants an IT Trainer and his engineering design skills are extremely rusty. Let’s face it, with Brexit looming, no companies are investing in anything if they can avoid it. I can count on one hand the major projects going on in the UK. I am a project accountant and it took me a year to find this new job.

However, the e-fund is fully funded and will cover a year’s bills. The car fund is about 1/3 of the way towards the cost of a new car (and Lucky is only 9, with less than 120,000 miles on his clock, so he won’t need replacing for a few years). The Running Away Fund will pay for a trip to New Zealand later this year for a wedding. My share portfolio has suffered from the Brexit effect but is still quite healthy and I hope to add at least £1,000 a month to it for the life of this contract, more when DH gets a job. My “401K” is doing well, too. And the only debt I have is the mortgage, which is fixed for another 4.5 years at 1.7%.

Why am I telling you all this? Because without the Fool, I don’t believe it would be possible. I learned so much from the people on this Site over the years and I want to say thank you. It’s all your fault.

- Pam. (Cross posted to LBYM.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.