Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I got my sewing machine back on Saturday from being serviced and finally sat down, last night, to repair the flap on one of our Ikea chairs (this is it in Leather; ours is cloth but that page isn't working: http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=7&productId=25952&langId=-20&parentCats=10114*10292 The flap is at the top).

As part of the service, I got them to tension me up a new bobbin. The old bobbin has suffered from my experiments at changing the tension and I couldn't remember if I'd got an even tension.

Well.... I mananged to throw the tension out on the new bobbin! It never occurred to me that sewing through 3/8" of fabric+batting in stretch stitch (which I was advised to use for strength) would tighten up the bobbin tension. Fortunately, it doesn't show much (nobody will notice unless I point it out). Unfortunately, that means I have to sort out the tension myself!

GRRRRRR.....

- Pam (still, it was fun to play with my "baby")
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well.... I mananged to throw the tension out on the new bobbin! It never occurred to me that sewing through 3/8" of fabric+batting in stretch stitch (which I was advised to use for strength) would tighten up the bobbin tension. Fortunately, it doesn't show much (nobody will notice unless I point it out). Unfortunately, that means I have to sort out the tension myself!

Congrats on getting your baby back! I couldn't imagine the withdrawals I'd go through if all my machines died. BTW, have you checked the thread itself? I recently had a problem with thread. I broke 4 needles, and it kept getting caught in the bobbin, too. I couldn't figure out why because I have several spools of this thread and it's always worked great before, it's from Coats & Clark, so it's not garbage thread. I just couldn't figure it out. Then I changed the thread and bobbin to a different spool (same color, brand, etc.) and it worked fine. I still have no clue why I had such a problem with the thread, but it's in the trash now.
. BTW, have you checked the thread itself? I recently had a problem with thread. I broke 4 needles, and it kept getting caught in the bobbin, too. I couldn't figure out why because I have several spools of this thread and it's always worked great before, it's from Coats & Clark, so it's not garbage thread. I just couldn't figure it out. Then I changed the thread and bobbin to a different spool (same color, brand, etc.) and it worked fine. I still have no clue why I had such a problem with the thread, but it's in the trash now.

Hmmm.... Interesting idea, but I'm not sure that is applicable in my case. Instead of forming proper stitches, the bobbin thread is taut across the back of the fabric and you can see where the spool thread is looped over it (NB spool thread appears to be at the correct tension). That is indicative of too tight a bobbin tension. Incidentally, when I examined the stitches in more depth, the initial ones were OK, so the bobbin must have tightened as it went.

I did a swatch before I started to test the tension and ensure clean thread is running through it (the machine is now very oily). Afterwards, I tried a couple of different stitches on the swatch to see if this problem was stretch-stitch specific; frustratingly, it wasn't.

Congrats on getting your baby back! I couldn't imagine the withdrawals I'd go through if all my machines died.

I can't count the times when I thought "if only I had my sewing machine, I could do ....". Somehow, though, I muddled through 4 years without it. I hadn't had ideal sewing conditions for 3 years before then (bad light mainly), so I think I'd got out of the habit of actually doing stuff - wishing I could do it is another matter :o).

- Pam
Hmmm.... Interesting idea, but I'm not sure that is applicable in my case. Instead of forming proper stitches, the bobbin thread is taut across the back of the fabric and you can see where the spool thread is looped over it (NB spool thread appears to be at the correct tension). That is indicative of too tight a bobbin tension. Incidentally, when I examined the stitches in more depth, the initial ones were OK, so the bobbin must have tightened as it went.

Ooh!! I know the answer to that one!! YOur thread tension on the spool thread is too loose. I've gone through many times, and either resetting the spool thread or tightening the thread tension usually works (except on my machine that died).
Ooh!! I know the answer to that one!! YOur thread tension on the spool thread is too loose. I've gone through many times, and either resetting the spool thread or tightening the thread tension usually works (except on my machine that died).

I am not worthy!

That sounds much easier to fix, since I can just dial up the tension.

- Pam (this was one of the things they were meant to check....)