Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Dan, so far, Kodak, Technicolor, Cinecomm, Texas Instruments (who have refrained from announcing any alliances as yet) and Hughes/JVC have either
demoed or announced alliances with Qualcomm. Oh, and GEORGE LUCAS, and Hollywood is nothing if not follow-the-leader.

I plan to address this in my report. I'm still gathering info.

As for the Qwest-Cisco aspect, there will be many layers to this technology adoption life cycle, Qualcomms is primarily in encryption/compression
software/hardware where they largely will compete with MPEG which is an open standard (and IS currently the standard).

Excellent Tim. Thank you for bringing me up to speed. This is a very exciting market, and if Qualcomm wins a large piece of the pie the long term earnings estimates will be woefully too low.

Certainly is a lot of pain driving this potential in Hollywood. Any ideas however on how much this will cost the theatre owners who will have to install systems to receive and display the new movies? This is going to be tough on them initially.

Of course it also opens up a whole new world of revenues to the theatre owner. Movies can be supplemented with live feeds of pay per view events, all in spectacular digital quality. From a consumer point of view, this is going to the bomb.

DP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.