No. of Recommendations: 3
Dan,

So one of side effects of being a contractor for the Fool is I have lost the visibility to the prices of each service. This makes it hard for me to know what promotions have been run or what the 3-year subscription price is for a service. So I really can't guess at the affordability of each service. However I do have a thought on getting the biggest "bang for the buck" so to speak.

I see Vicki beat me to this one but my first thought was the Premium Boards: Investing Strategies project TMF1000 is trying to get organized. I just learned about it yesterday but I am very excited about the possibilities. Since the Premium Boards are behind the paywall you would need to subscribe to Stock Advisor or Rule Breakers, at least. Really, a subscription to *any* paid TMF-service will grant you access to the Premium Boards, but SA and RB are currently the lowest cost services.

As he did in MDP years ago, Tom Engle is trying to rally a team to begin following a large group of companies with the goal of making initial investments, making further investments at better value points, and lightening positions when the value points are at unattractive levels. We once referred to this in MDP as "rowing" but I remember some disagreement that this strategy didn't really fit with the actual, correct definition of "rowing" according to some author (if memory serves me).

While not a true Portfolio service in the mold of MDP, I think this Work Project (as he's calling it) could go a long way to help each of us with portfolio-management. With Tom, alone, covering 100 companies it should be plenty easy for each of us to build a diversified portfolio using 30 companies, give or take to your comfort-level. Since it's on the shared-among-all-services Premium Boards, we should get a wide swath of investors offering their bullish/bearish opinions.

You've been with the Fool for a long time, Dan, and I'd hate to lose your experience and voice on the message boards. At the very least, I think, the price of Stock Advisor is worth having access to this project by TMF1000. I certainly plan to participate as my time allows; I have kind of gotten myself in over my head by trying to follow too many TMF services.

Right now I am in a (hopefully short-term) limbo where I have accumulated too many companies for me to follow. It's really been hard for me to take on the launch of the post-MDP investment club and get involved with this TMF1000 Work Project so my first priority right now is to cut my owned companies down to under 50. I currently own shares in 91 companies and, due to following so many TMF portfolios, my watch list adds another 150, or so. I know this number is insane but I, admittedly, have quite a bit of the FOMO (fear of missing out). My goal is to own around 40, give or take up to 10 either way, and have a total of 100 companies on which I am keeping tabs. As I clean up my portfolio & watch list I fully expect to have more focus on boards like this one and the PB: Investing Strategies board.

So I suppose that's my "general" suggestion: I will try to keep the MDP-conversation going here on this board and I also think Tom Engle's project on the PB: Investing Strategies board is going to create a lot of valuable content. Surely, primarily following these two boards will require alot of "homework" to turn this raw data into a portfolio... but I don't believe you necessarily need to subscribe to one of the premium services to get the information you need to beat the market as long as you are able to put the time in on your own portfolio management. If you are looking for more "tell me what to do and I'll do it" then the best solution is probably with a service like Supernova since that is what they provide.

I hope you can make some use of this advice.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.