No. of Recommendations: 0
Dan,

Thank you for jumping in on this discussion. You offer a viewpoint that is cautious, seemingly reasonable, and needs to be considered.

That said, I'll stand by my numbers as being very easily documented reports of what has been widely achieved and what can reasonably be achieved. I know the literature. I personally know investors who achieve those kinds of returns, and I'm one of them.

That Lokicious is scared of risk is undeniable. That I am scared of risk is undeniable. He chooses to manage risk by avoiding it and trafficks almost exclusively in cash-management vehicles (CD's, TIPS, T-Bills). I choose to manage risk by managing it, and I traffick in bonds, especially junk bonds, and I use cash-management vehicles only for what they were intended to be, a small portion of one's total portfolio.

That's the difference. The two of us manage risk differently. There is no flame war. There is an ongoing discussion of alternative approaches to risk management. Furthermore, I make the assumption that each reader will decide for her or himself which approach --or yet other ones-- best suits their needs and abilities. There is no one, right way to do any of this stuff.

If you, Dan, and you, Lokicious, are scared of investment risk, don't lie to me that you aren't using that fear to set self-limits on your upside returns and those of everyone else. That is a "sour grapes" argument, that is classic, "egalitarian" thinking, and it is dispicable. Any prudent person is scared of investment risk. It's how each of us chooses to manage that fear that distinguishes one investor from another, the differnces are just differences. Nothing more.

Charlie

Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.