Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey Fools -

DAR has been pretty quiet lately - I was figuring the next bit of info we would get would be the earnings release in the next week or so... Much to my surprise, seems that had a new JV in the works...

Not only will i be thingking about sausage casings, yellow grease, tallow, and renewable fuels... I'll thinking about non-pathogenic black soldier fly (BSF) larvae! (did i ever mention that i was one class away from an entomology minor way back when?)

Anyway - here is the release:

http://ir.darlingii.com/ViewEmail.asp?b=1640&id=158706&a...

Intrexon Corporation (NYSE: XON), a leader in synthetic biology, today announced it has agreed to acquire the business of EnviroFlight LLC and form a joint venture with Darling Ingredients Inc. (NYSE: DAR), the world's largest publicly-traded developer and producer of sustainable natural ingredients from bio-nutrients. EnviroFlight has developed proprietary technologies which enable the rearing of non-pathogenic black soldier fly (BSF) larvae in an industrially scalable manner. This innovative and responsible approach has considerable potential within the $60 billion global animal feed industry as it will provide an environmentally-friendly, toxin-free, sustainable source of high-value nutrients.

Growing black fly larvae for use in animal feed... instead of soy meal, and other things they typically don't eat...

EnviroFlight's scalable approach utilizing BSF larvae opens the door to a plentiful source of high quality nutrients for the aquaculture and livestock industries. Notably within the fish and poultry markets, BSF larvae may be more representative of the typical diet of these natural insectivores than soymeal and other plant-based meal regimens. Additionally fishmeal and fish oil are multi-billion dollar products critical to aquaculture's continued growth, yet demand is outpacing the fairly inflexible supply for these valuable feeds whose manufacture are heavily dependent on wild-caught fish.

and

"We are excited to enter this new collaboration with Intrexon, a leader in bio-based solutions to global problems, and to further enhance our broad bio-nutrient product portfolio continuing our goal of providing nutritional, functional, and ecological ingredients for animals," said Randall Stuewe, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Darling Ingredients.

"EnviroFlight has focused on driving necessary change in the global food supply chain, and we look forward to working with Intrexon and Darling Ingredients to realize the considerable promise of insect bioconversion to offer solutions that meet this goal," said Glen Courtright, President of EnviroFlight.

Since late 2014, EnviroFlight has collaborated with Darling Ingredients to refine its scalable production processes for BSF larvae and upgrade its pilot facility. With over 130 years of experience, Darling is the foremost reclaimer and processor of inexpensive bio-sustainable feedstocks, repurposing typically inedible ingredients into usable specialty feed and food solutions. Darling's operational expertise in this area combined with EnviroFlight's innovative approach employing BSF larvae will be leveraged to standardize processes for creating and optimizing BSF-based feed. The joint venture intends to begin construction of a commercial plant this year setting the foundation for future global expansion.

I assume it's a 50/50 JV with XON, who bought EnviroFlight (who has been working with DAR to develop the technology)

Good stuff..

Greg
BJRI, DAR & LUK Ticker Guide

See all of my holdings here:
http://my.fool.com/profile/CMFGalapagos/info.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.