Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 28
Darryl44 asks,

So should we just continue to borrow indefinitely to help the poor and middle class? We are at over 100% of GDP debt. But Japan is over 200% GDP debt. At what point can we no longer increase the debt-to-GDP ratio? Is borrowing to help the poor and middle class sustainable?

</snip>

The same questions were asked while we flushed $4 Trillion of deficit spending down the toilet in Iraq & Afghanistan and borrowed $2T to fund the 2017 billionaire tax cuts. The answer was "deficits don't matter" as long as our folks are getting the lucre.

But you're right. Eventually taxes will have to be increased to match spending. After 25+ years of being early retired and living off an investment portfolio, I've been astonished at how lightly taxed I am. The dumbest thing you can do in America, tax-wise, is work for wage & salary income. We really need to bring the "People of Leisure" like myself up to same tax level as working folks with the same income and wealth.

A good place to start would be the elimination of the "stepped up basis" on estates. What's up with that? Pay your kid $100,000 to do a job and it's wage & salary (income tax and FICA applies.) Die and give him a $100,000 and it's all "tax-free"? And people have a bug up their behind because some poor person got a $300/week bump in his unemployment check?

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.