Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 47
I just wanted to update my Foolish friends on my son, Dash. He went through graduation ceremonies on Friday, and after he completes 2 more courses, he will be a college graduate.

It took him five long years. He did not use the special education help that was available to him, and still he did it. His GPA hovers around a 3.0 (will know for sure once he completes the summer courses) but I could not be prouder of him than if he had graduated from Harvard with honors. He did it all on his own.

A picture of him holding up his diploma cover says it all. The smile is as wide as the outdoors and it says to the world, "I did it".

So what is next for the intrepid young man? He has decided to go into the Air Force. He is very worried about going in for officer candidate school, but we are trying to convince him that since he will be a college graduate, he should apply for it. I hope he will make the right decision.

Best part of it is that those 5 years are paid for, and he has no student debt. Thanks to my Dad's generosity and my Mom's stewardship, my parents' paid for half of his college. We paid the other half. It was $55,000. We scrimped and saved and had stay-cations. We went without - but it never felt like we did.

I owe a huge debt to the Fool (thankfully not a monetary one, lol). By studying and reading the Credit Card and LBYM boards, I learned how to budget, how to save, pay off our credit card debt and stay out.

Some of the original peeps are still on this board who made the biggest difference; I can't thank you enough. Thank you, Motley Fool. I did not realize that I would still be here (a member since 1998) and all the changes that I would undergo. You have made a difference in my life and lifestyle.

Andrea
Fiddledeedee
Mme. LaFarge
La Fifi
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Congrats to him (and you guys)

He is very worried about going in for officer candidate school, but we are trying to convince him that since he will be a college graduate, he should apply for it.

Have him look online at pay grades.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

and see that he'd have to be emlisted for SIX years to be at the paygrade of a first year officer.
that might help prompt him into being more assertive with the application.

peace & pushups
t
No. of Recommendations: 0
and see that he'd have to be emlisted for SIX years to be at the paygrade of a first year officer.
that might help prompt him into being more assertive with the application.

peace & pushups
t

Thanks, tconi, I will show it to him! :)

Fifi
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just wanted to update my Foolish friends on my son, Dash. He went through graduation ceremonies on Friday, and after he completes 2 more courses, he will be a college graduate.

Congratulations and tell him to go the OCS route.
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<So what is next for the intrepid young man? He has decided to go into the Air Force. He is very worried about going in for officer candidate school, but we are trying to convince him that since he will be a college graduate, he should apply for it. I hope he will make the right decision.
>>

I wish him the best of luck.

Still, someone who took five years to struggle through college may find OCS a shock.

I just finished reading Colin Powell's autobiography. He was an ROTC guy who went on to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff ----and US Secretary of state.

The book related that a subsequent JCS enlisted as a private and went all the way to be JCS Chairman.

So what Napoleon said about drummer boys has relevance to the US military.

Seattle Pioneer
FiddleDeeDee added to your Favorite Fools list. - TMFServer
Congratulations and tell him to go the OCS route. - Globetraveler | Date: 6/3/2016 11:57:04 AM | Number: 86683

I definitely recommend the Officer Candidate School(OCS) route. That is the route I took in June 1968 after being drafted January 1968. I finished first in my OCS class of 60. Picked the Intelligence Branch and was assigned to be a Staff Intelligence Officer<Systems Analyst> in the CINCPAC<Honolulu, HI> Plans & Policy Branch of J2. Promoted every year to eventually Major in March 1972.

WHOVPLLC
Still, someone who took five years to struggle through college may find OCS a shock.

I think that is what he is feeling. He has a very clear idea of who he is and what he can do, and he's never been wrong when he trusts his own judgment.

Fifi
Andrea!!!

Man, I'm late to the party, but I want to extend my heartiest congratulations to Dash and you! What an amazing achievement all around!!

Dash overcame his personal obstacles and simply soared. Bravo!! And Bravo to you for your always being there to help, guide, support and love. It's just so awesome! Add to that the fact that you were able to Foolishly manage the finances and credit it's a total victory all around.

I've no doubt that you'll be posting many, many more victories on Dash's behalf, and I look forward to hearing them!

Again, sorry for my lack of presence here. I do try to stop by, but they've got me working all over the place. :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2aruba
Dear Tony,

Thank you so much!!! I owe a LOT of my Foolishness to you and this Board!

You have always made it a very welcoming, fun place, and always optimistic and mannerly. I am very proud to be a part of this piratey, Foolish venture of yours. :) (Is it time for another piratey adventure?)

Thanks so much for the kind words and I will definitely keep you posted Dash's victories. I'm sure he is at the beginning of his own adventure. :) :)

Andrea
FiddleDeeDee is already one of your Favorite Fools. - TMFServer!!

Sometimes I forget!!!!!!!

David
FiddleDeeDee is already one of your Favorite Fools. - TMFServer!!

Sometimes I forget!!!!!!!

David

<3

:)

Fifi