Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

First thread... What resources are you all using for data and research? Has anyone found a good source of comprehensive market data? Does anyone know of a individual investor version of the bloomberg terminal? Rather than do searches for each metric I am looking for at the moment, is there a reasonable priced source of comprehensive data?

Where do you all look for information?
Print the post Back To Top
Value Line reports and Standard & Poors Reports are a good beginning. My library makes Value Line available free to card holders.

But detailed work requires working with the annual reports and doing a careful analysis of the numbers. If services provide that information, I would like to know about them too.
Agreed. The reports are paramount. I am mostly looking for something to compare the numbers to, Looking for benchmarks and trends that might reveal some opportunities or warnings. I love data and I think the more info the better.
No. of Recommendations: 4
What kind of data are you looking for?

Morningstar and Gurufocus have good stock data pages for all the various metrics I look at. Valueline is also okay here. A lot of libraries seem to carry Valueline so you might be able to get access for free.

Valueline, Valuentum, and Morningstar are all good for getting a synopsis of a company and one professional analyst's opinion on the stock's valuation estimate. Valuentum and Morningstar have their valuation methodology all pretty much laid out in their writeups so you can see if you agree with those inputs or not. Valueline is more opaque. These are often great starting off points for basic stock research.

For in-depth stock research I read the company 10-K's, 10-Q's and conference calls.

I read over Wall Street Journal and Barron's every day for basic market and business news. The Wall Street Journal has a market data page with all the key stuff on there: major market indices, yield spread, major currency pairs

Forums I like are Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax and the Fool boards.

Mike
No. of Recommendations: 1
Basic metrics like PE and PEG ratio are readily available, but I know some value investors have far more sophisticated data. Sources of those metrics would be of interest.
I found some nice pay site that have a lot of data for a decent price. I haven't dug into one yet but it would be great to be able to get into a data base where you could find, for example, how many cattle move through the system, or how many train cars move through a point or . A lot of this is available with a google search but, to be able to sift through it at a single location would be awesome. I picture the Bloomberg Terminal being something like this. If I played and hit the lottery, That would be my first purchase.
Believe it or not... Gurufocus! Thanks Mike!!!