No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a new member of DATEK. I am planning to send some stock certificates to them for safekeeping. Has anyone had any bad experiences with doing this?
Print the post Back To Top
cemorrow wrote:
I am a new member of DATEK. I am planning to send some stock certificates to them for safekeeping. Has anyone had any bad experiences with doing this?
------
I noticed that no one had answered your question... I use Datek also, but have never sent them stock certificates. However, in general you are better off letting your broker keep your certificates. They are a pain in the neck to keep yourself... the fireproof safe or bank safe-deposit box etc. Datek is a reputable firm. They have recently had problems with web-site performance, but over the year I've been using them they have periodically had problems, expanded their capability, and then been OK for a while. Same pattern as virtually every other well-travelled internet service I use, including my ISP (AT&T... go T!) and the Motley Fool. Perils of an expanding medium.

Best of luck to you.
<< I use Datek also, but have never sent them stock certificates. However, in general you are better off letting your broker keep your certificates. >>

Definitely a good idea at Datek; they charge $50 to get one. BTW, there *were* some horror stories, posted in the early days of this board, wrt Datek losing certificates that were sent to them; speculation at the time was that Datek *really* wasn't set up to, nor did they want to, deal with certificates, hence the high fee to issue one.