No. of Recommendations: 0
Dave, I think readers would find it helpful if you footnote unusual terms in your responses. For example, you used the term risk of ruin[1] which is, as you said, an investment term. When you use these terms--even if you think everyone ought to know what you're talking about--you could footnote to Investopedia. Then people wouldn't accuse you of making up words and phrases. BTW, "non-lost" isn't a word.

The problem is that as I write, I’m basically some kind of autistic… I sincerely don’t know what terms other people are not actually smart enough not to understand. I do *NOT* consider myself all that intellectually gifted (though I always appreciate the kind compliments you & others give me… in my heart I don’t buy it…) so I internally assume that whatever I write… 99% of the readers are likely above ME.

If I have to manually handicap that, I’ll end up getting bogged down footnoting the definition of ‘is’….

No… if I am going to write anything, it has to simply be from natural flow.

I don’t do mammoth research & preparation productions…. Footnoting? not unless I have an external editor reading & screening everything I write (which *WILL* happen for a book…. Not for TMF conversations.)

Thanks for caring!
Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.