Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
David,

Norm, if you wait for the market, you may miss out on the growth. :-)

Yes, of course. I never suggested that one should wait for the market. When one actually reads a company's financial statement showing the impact of a new development, the market has already moved so it's too late to act. One has already missed the gain if it's a positive development and one simply locks in the loss by selling if it's a negative development.

In Beating the Street, Peter Lynch explains his "sell" signal for commercial retail companies quite simply. He sold a retailer whenever his wife and his daughters no longer brought home bags from the respective store when they went to the mall -- thus getting out of the stock before the company's quarterly reports reflected a drop in sales. And, conversely, he seriously considered purchasing a stock whenever he noticed that his wife and his daughters started bringing home bags from a store that he did not own.

I agree that there are some regulatory hurdles on the 21st Century Fox deal, but I am confident the company can push through them. First, the president is friends with the Murdochs so I am not anticipating the hardline approach that the DoJ is taking against the AT&T/Time Warner deal, despite the fact that merger being more vertical than this one.

I doubt that the President will intervene personally if the Anti-Trust Division of the Department of Justice determines that the acquisition crosses federal anti-trust law. It would look very bad politically.

Still, there's no denying that Disney would potentially own nearly 40% of the domestic box office. Abscent political interest in the deal (and I do think it is political factors - CNN - driving the fight against AT&T and Time Warner which is a pure vertical alignment with no overlapping businesses and would result in a company that looked more like Comcast), I think the current Congress and executive branch's focus on decreasing regulation and getting out of corporate America's way bodes well for Disney.

Anti-trust laws are almost as much of a political "hot wire" as social security. With a bare majority in the Senate, the Grand Old Party (GOP) lacks the votes to break a filibuster -- and I doubt that one can get it into a "reconciliation" bill or something else that would be filibuster-proof under the Senate's rules.

Norm.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.