Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have now received certain forms from the U.S.
Datek have sent me a W-8BEN(October 1998) which looks suspiciously like an updated version of the W-8(November 1992)that Comsec have sent me. Comsec also sent a Form 1001 (Sept 1995)"Ownership, Exemption, or reduced rate certificate".

At this stage I think I'll go with Datek, when I can russle up the AUD$3k+ to kick off an account.

could you shed some light on these forms and a laymans summary of the tax treatment (ie withholding tax)or point me to relevant message numbers previously posted on (US) tax

Fool in limbo
Davo
Print the post Back To Top
Davo--before you commit to Datek you might want to read what two month's ago's Smart Money magazine had to say about American on line trading firms--Datek, as I recall, ranked to the bottom of the list due to computer problems, customer service and delays. You should be able to get at it at www.smartmoney.com. I seem to recall their ranking Mariel Seabart and Co first--but I don't know if that's an option for you in Oz.

Christina--thanks for the sporting rebuttal--I would have been quick to give it but you beat me to the punch--I also would have gone ahead and bragged about being a cricket fan which would have further confounded those who find Americans to be some what thickwitted and dull when it comes to any sport. :>)

Cheers and Fool On,
surferboy27
Davo,

I'm currently living in the US and therefore not eligible for the exemption, so I've never filled in a W-8. But, thanks to the crash in the oil price 6 months ago, I'll be home in two months and will have to complete one then.

I think the form works similar to declaring "tax file nos." in OZ, i.e., the bank/broker doesn't withhold the maximum tax rate from interest/dividends.

Reading the form, I interpret that any dividends you get from US companies will still be subject to withholding tax of 30% (if you fill the W-8 form in). Otherwise, they'll be subject to an extra 20%.

Hope this helps,...Brett