Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Some 50 medals were given out today.

Women:

Shooting: Double Trap: Kimberly Rhode (USA) won Gold!

Cycling: Individual Time Trial Finals
The favorite, Leontien Zijlaard-van Moorsel (NED) won Gold. It's surprising she even made it after crashing in the Road Race Sunday. USA's Dede Demet-Barry won Silver. Her comments after the race "I feel great and excited. There were many great athletes and I can not believe that I took the silver medal." Christine Thorburn (USA) finished 4th.

Softball: USA has to apply the mercy rule, ending its game against Canda 7-0 in the 5th.

Archery: Jenny Nichols (USA) failed to make the Quarterfinals.

Canoe/Kayak Slalom: Racing Whitewater: Rebecca Giddens (USA, 7th in Sydney) won Silver today! Elena Kaliska (SLK) Gold, Bronze to Helen Reeves (GBR), other finishers were: Louise Natoli (AUS) 6th and Jenniver Bongardt (GER) 9th.

Judo: 70kg: Celita Schutz (USA) lost to Masae Ueno of Japan.

Rowing: Single Sculls Semifinal: Jennifer Devine (USA) finished 4th in the Semifinals. She will compete in the Finals (B) Thursday the 19th.

Volleyball: I'll use my hubby's words here "The USA Women flat out got played." They lost to the Dominican Republic, who had lost all it's games heading into this match.

Shot Put
Prelims
Those failing to make the finals included: Kalliopi Ouzouni (GRE) 13th, Astrid Kumbernuss (GER) 16th, Team USA-Kristin Heaston 22nd and Laura Gerraughty 27th.
Finals
Irina Korzhanenko (RUS) Gold, Yumileidi Cumba (Silver), Nadine Kleinert (Bronze).

Fencing: Foil: Erinn Smart lost to Mariana Gonzalez (VEN) 12-14.

Basketball: Women beat Korea 80-57. Lisa Leslie finished with 25 points, Tina Thompson with 18.

Swimming
100m Freestyle Semifinals
Jodie Henry (AUS) won her heat and set a new World and Olympic Record. Kara Lynn Joyce (USA) won her heat and moves on to the finals. Others also moving on to the Finals are: Nery Mantey Niangkouara (GRE), Libby Lenton (AUS), Natalie Coughlin (USA) and Inge de Bruijn (NED).
200m Breaststroke Semifinals
Going to the Finals are: Leisel Jones and Brooke Hanson (AUS), Amanda Beard (USA) and Agnes Kovacs (HUN). 18 year old Caroline Bruce (USA) this was her only event, failed to make the Finals, she is the first substitute if anyone no shows.
200m Butterly Final
Petria Thomas (AUS) Silver, Kaitlin Sandeno (USA) 4th.
4x200m Free Relay Final
This is the 3rd time this race has been contested in the Olympics, USA has all of them. USA wins Gold, new World and Olympic Record! Set by Natalie Coughlin (swam a lifetime best), Carly Piper, Dana Vollmer, and Kaitlin Sandeno. The World Record in this event is the oldest one in swimming and was set 17 years ago today. China-Silver,

Germany-Bronze, Australia 4th and Great Britian 5th.

Water Polo: Canada beats USA 6-5.

Beach Volleyball: McPeak/Youngs win over the Swiss (Schnyder/Kuhn) 2-1.

Men:

Shot Put
Prelims
Reese Hoffa (USA) failed to make the finals.
Finals
Adam Nelson (USA) after a huge first throw, fouled on his last 5 throws. His big throw though allowed him to win Silver. Yuriy Bilonog (UKR) won Gold. John Godina (USA) out after the first three throws, he had to be in the top 8 and he was 9th.

Judo: 90kg: Brian Olson (USA) wins over Gabriel Lama of Chile, but failed to make it to the Quarterfinals after falling to Frederic Demontfaucon of France.

Gymnastics: All Around: Never before has an American won Gold in the All Around Medal, but today Paul Hamm (USA) did exactly that! Silver and Bronze went to Korea's Dae Eun Kim and Tae Young Yang. Yang Wei (CHN) was 7th and the USA's Brett McClure was 9th.

Beach Volleyball: Blanton/Nygaard lose to the Swiss (Heuscher/Kobel) 1-2.

Boxing:
48kg-Light Fly Weight
Rau Shee Warren (USA) lost to Shiming Zou and fails to advance.
Peter Wakefield (AUS) had a Bye in the first round and won the second to advance to the Quarterfinals.
91kg-Heavy Weight
Devin Vargas (USA) wins his two bouts and goes to the Semifinals.
91kg+-Super Heavy Weight
Jason Estrada (USA) wins his bout and moves to the Quarterfinals.

Soccer: Iraq lost to Morocco, but still make the Quarterfinals. Costa Rica who had not yet won a game or even scored a goal, won big today 4-2 over Portugal, they also go to the Quarterfinals.

Swimming
200m Backstroke Semifinals
Aaron Peirsol (USA) set a new Olympic Record and won his heat. Bryce Hunt (USA) failed to make the finals.
200m IM Semifinals
Michael Phelps (USA) set an Olympic Record and is the Finals. Ryan Lochte (USA) first time Olympian, swam in the 4x200 Free Relay, is in the Finals. Laszio Cseh (HUN) also made the finals. Ioannis Kokkodis (GRE) failed to advance to the finals.
200m Breaststroke Finals
Kosuke Kitojima (JPN) with a new Olympic Record wins Gold, Daniel Gyurta (HUN) at 15 won the Silver, Brendan Hansen (USA) gets Bronze, Mike Brown (CAN) 6th, Scott Usher (USA) 7th, Jim Piper (AUS) DSQ.
100m Freestyle Finals
Roland Schoeman from the Republic of South Africa nearly beat Pieter van dan Hoogenband (NED), but instead had to settle for Silver. Ian Thorpe (AUS) was a surprising Bronze Medalist. Duje Draganja (Croatia) who swims at UC Berkeley was 6th. Salim Illes of Algeria (who has never won a swimming medal) was 7th.

Rowing: Four Semifinals: USA finishes 8th.

Cycling: Individual Time Trial Finals
Gold goes to USA's Tyler Hamilton and Bronze to USA's Bobby Julich. Jan Ullrich (GER) was 7th. Tyler's comments: "This is fantastic. I've dreamt about a golden medal ever since I was a kid. I'm really proud to represent my country. This the greatest moment of my career." "This is the highlight of my career. To win a gold medal at the Olympic Games is the best feeling on the world." He also mentioned that he wanted a Gold since he was a kid, but he thought it would be in downhill skiing, but that didn't pan out.

MIXED:

Equestrian
Mixed Individual Eventing Jumping Final
Bettina Hoy (GER) Gold, Leslie Law (GBR) Silver, Kimberly Severson (USA) Bronze. Other members of Team USA: Amy Tryon 7th, Darren Chiacchia 12th, John Williams 21st, Julie Richards 23rd. Other members of Germany's Team: Hinrich Romeike 6th, Andreas and Frank Ostholt 14th. Everyone's favorite horse, Drunken Disorderly ridden by Mark Kyle of Ireland finished 21st.
Mixed Team Eventing Jumping Final
A strange day as Germany was awarded the Gold, then after some tape review was moved to 4th place, giving USA the Bronze. Germany appealed and was once again given the Gold and USA finished 4th. France, who right now has the Silver, is thought to be protesting the decision. Stay tuned!

=) Megan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.