Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Wow...the original movie was good..was on AMC movie channel last week.

The reviews on the new version of The Day the Earth Stood Still aren't great..most folks here who reviewed it panned it pretty bad.

Apparently the libs went off message compared to the originals, and now the space visitor is more concerned about Earth's environmenttal damage, suggesting everyone go back to stone age living.

http://www.mrmovietimes.com/movies/Day-the-Earth-Stood-Still...

some comments from the reviews

"

A huge disappointment even with a great cast. Story was never fully explained, and we didn't get to see much of the "stood still" part either. The old movie was way better. Yes we don't deserve this planet, but we don't deserve this crappy movie either."

and

"Aside from numerous 'product placements' that render good movies slightly cheesy, "

"Did not live up to my expectation or the hype. Frankly, it was BORING. I tried to figure out exactly what makes it so boring and came to the conclusion that the plot in general is paper thin. While the Smith kid is cute, the acting all around is mediocre. The only part I like is when the movie takes subtle swipes at George Bush."

"Ho hum. Not much of a plot. Casting, other than Keanu Reeves, is very odd. Kathy Bates as Secretary of Defense? Oy.
The alien mothership is really lame. I've seen flash animations by 8th graders that were more impressive.
Bring back the original. This is a stinker. Don't waste your money. Use it to rent the original "

"Check out the original movie and skip this one. You will get a movie with a positive message about humanity and its future, with a stern but warm and caring warning from Klatu and his friends. If you see this one you will get a dark view of humanity and be hit with one of the least subtle, and worst thought out messages ever to grace the silver screen. "

I was thinking of going to see it, but apparently, even though it got the #1 spot over the weekend, it didn't register well with a lot of folks. BTW, box office receipts down 45% from same period last year.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.