Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Wow...the original movie was good..was on AMC movie channel last week.

The reviews on the new version of The Day the Earth Stood Still aren't great..most folks here who reviewed it panned it pretty bad.

Apparently the libs went off message compared to the originals, and now the space visitor is more concerned about Earth's environmenttal damage, suggesting everyone go back to stone age living.

http://www.mrmovietimes.com/movies/Day-the-Earth-Stood-Still...

some comments from the reviews

"

A huge disappointment even with a great cast. Story was never fully explained, and we didn't get to see much of the "stood still" part either. The old movie was way better. Yes we don't deserve this planet, but we don't deserve this crappy movie either."

and

"Aside from numerous 'product placements' that render good movies slightly cheesy, "

"Did not live up to my expectation or the hype. Frankly, it was BORING. I tried to figure out exactly what makes it so boring and came to the conclusion that the plot in general is paper thin. While the Smith kid is cute, the acting all around is mediocre. The only part I like is when the movie takes subtle swipes at George Bush."

"Ho hum. Not much of a plot. Casting, other than Keanu Reeves, is very odd. Kathy Bates as Secretary of Defense? Oy.
The alien mothership is really lame. I've seen flash animations by 8th graders that were more impressive.
Bring back the original. This is a stinker. Don't waste your money. Use it to rent the original "

"Check out the original movie and skip this one. You will get a movie with a positive message about humanity and its future, with a stern but warm and caring warning from Klatu and his friends. If you see this one you will get a dark view of humanity and be hit with one of the least subtle, and worst thought out messages ever to grace the silver screen. "

I was thinking of going to see it, but apparently, even though it got the #1 spot over the weekend, it didn't register well with a lot of folks. BTW, box office receipts down 45% from same period last year.

t.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
More comments on this movie

"The rumbling sound you hear that shakes the theaters playing The Day the Earth Stood Still this weekend isn't an awesome sound system. It's everyone involved with the original turning over in their grave. Only loosely related to the sci-fi classic from which it steals its name, the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still is being advertised as a "reimagining," but the words "bastardization" or "plundering" would be more appropriate. Director Scott Derrickson and the producers of the new film haven't just updated the original with new ideas and special effects, they've completely corrupted the concept of their source material. The original Day was about rational thought versus conflict. It was a direct reaction to the nuclear bombs dropped at the end of World War II. How does the new film update this message of peace? With loud, over-the-top CGI sequences, plot holes you could drive a spaceship through, and a resolution to the conflict that tells the audience nothing of substance. "

http://www.movieretriever.com/blog/editors/200/Movie-Review:...

"It's easy to see what writer David Scarpa and the team behind The Day the Earth Stood Still was going for - an update of a classic for the Independence Day generation. But they've made a shockingly inert film. The opening scenes have a B-movie energy that completely disappears from the on-the-run movie that follows"

Guess I'll skip this one, too...not much to see in the way of movies these days.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I was thinking of going to see it, but apparently, even though it got the #1 spot over the weekend, it didn't register well with a lot of folks. BTW, box office receipts down 45% from same period last year.
- tele

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry but Keanu Reeves's acting is not that impressive. The main thing he has going for him are his looks. He's holding up pretty well, timewise. I'm figure this one might be a renter, like a rainy Saturday afternoon kind of movie.

Art
It goes from bad to worse....

http://www.tonymedley.com/2008/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still...

"This answers the age-old question, how bad can a movie be? I thought that “The Day After Tomorrow” (2004) had seen disaster movies hit their nadir, but I hadn’t reckoned with director Scott Derickson and screenwriter David Scarpa. They have seen that turkey and raised it."

"This has one idiotic occurrence after another, just like “The Day After Tomorrow.” There’s a huge robot that can control electricity and just about everything else. But the good guys capture this robot and transport it to a huge building to try to drill it open. How did they capture and control something so powerful, you might ask? Don’t"

"Reeves is perfectly cast for Scarpa’s script because he only has to say short sentences composed of words that rarely exceed one syllable."

Hmmmm......We'll see how the little programmable 'child units' respond to this movie. Not much else out there to go see, and it is PG-13 so I guess a lot of parents, looking for something to entertain the kiddies, will let them or drag them to see this....

t
The Pulitzer Prize-winning film critic of the Wall Street Journal, Joe Morgenstern, resigned the other day after people ignored his scathing review of this film and went to see it anyway:

http://hollywoodroaster.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/morgenstern...

Joe Morgenstern has seen his share of stinkers over the past 50 years, but the weekend box office numbers for "The Day the Earth Stood Still" left the Wall Street Journal film reviewer so disgusted, he immediately sent an email of resignation to his editor.

"Clearly my work isn't having any effect whatsoever," said Morgenstern. "Most Americans would rather watch a bologna sandwich rot on screen than be challenged by films like 'Milk' or 'Slumdog Millionaire.'"

According to Morgenstern’s review, the Keanu Reeves pic is "a dumb remake that's insufferably full of itself...as cold and blank as the expression on Mr. Reeves' face." Despite Morgenstern's unflattering review, the film opened to more than $30 million over the weekend.

It's no fun being underappreciated -- I should know. But at least I don't w@nk about it.

--fleg
I'm sorry but Keanu Reeves's acting is not that impressive.
--------------------------------------------------------
Now there's an understatement.

Who cares. He has other attributes.

IP
"Clearly my work isn't having any effect whatsoever," said Morgenstern. "Most Americans would rather watch a bologna sandwich rot on screen than be challenged by films like 'Milk' or 'Slumdog Millionaire.'"
--------------------
Good grief. Does he think "most Americans" read the WSJ? He is a crybaby. Or maybe just tired of working. I understand that.

arrete

IP
-------------------------------
Not for me. He just looks cranky, and I'm partial to dark-haired guys.

arrete
Good grief. Does he think "most Americans" read the WSJ? He is a crybaby. Or maybe just tired of working. I understand that.

It was actually a satirical article. Later on it said:

http://hollywoodroaster.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/morgenstern...

"Ain’t that a bitch?" he said. "When I saw that number, I knew it was time to move on and do something that actually makes a difference, like reviewing video games."

When asked what they thought of Morgenstern’s resignation, most moviegoers were apathetic.

"Who?" asked Bob Johnson of suburban Detroit. "Whatever. The effects were awesome! Plus I’d totally bang that brunette chick."

--fleg, who was fooled as well until reading those last paragraphs.
"Most Americans would rather watch a bologna sandwich rot on screen than be challenged by films like 'Milk' or 'Slumdog Millionaire.'"

What's he complaining about? Afterall most Americans (who voted) voted for the O man.

Mike
...and I'm partial to dark-haired guys.

Did he go blond for this movie, or are you thinking of someone else? Reeves does have dark hair in all the movies I've seen with him.

IP
not into blondes either
I'm sorry but Keanu Reeves's acting is not that impressive. The main thing he has going for him are his looks. He's holding up pretty well, timewise. I'm figure this one might be a renter, like a rainy Saturday afternoon kind of movie.

Art

yeah, pretty algore wooden like, on the same order of Sylvester Stallone whose only good movie was "Rocky".

LD
"....I'm sorry but Keanu Reeves's acting is not that impressive.

IP .."

I heard that he has a very long thumb.
I'm sorry but Keanu Reeves's acting is not that impressive. The main thing he has going for him are his looks. He's holding up pretty well, timewise. I'm figure this one might be a renter, like a rainy Saturday afternoon kind of movie. - Art
--------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah, pretty algore wooden like, on the same order of Sylvester Stallone whose only good movie was "Rocky". - LD

I'm not gay but even I will admit that I think Keanu Reeves is physically attractive. Like I'd want to hang out with him so some of his good looks might rub off on me? I did like Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure and I also like him in that movie with Patrick Swayze where they jumped out of airplanes and surfed and stuff? I forgot the name of that movie but there were this band of thieves and they did all this adventure stuff and Keanu Reeves was a cop trying to bust them?

Art
I'm not gay but even I will admit that I think Keanu Reeves is physically attractive. -- Art

Hey Art, when I was inspired by board conversation to look for a Keanu Reeves movies to see (yes, I think he is cute) they put up a totally unrelated movie they thought I might like called On a Clear Day. They said the average rating for viewers was 3.6 but they guessed my rating would be 4.2 because of my high ratings for Greenfingers, Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont and Everything is Illuminated. So I ordered it. It sounds like something you might like too because I know you like to swim for one thing. Here is the description:

When Frank (Peter Mullan) loses his job at the docks, he quickly realizes that, at age 55, he's too old to start a new career but too young to simply stop working. Despondent about his life and past mistakes, he decides to take on the ultimate challenge -- to swim the English Channel. With the support of friends and family, he thinks he can rise to the occasion and bear the physical pain, but is he ready to come to terms with his emotional pain?

Just a quiet little English movie—they are usually darn good.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/On_a_Clear_Day/70024100?trkid=2...

I selected The Watcher with Reeves as the serial killer and James Spader as the law officer as my Reeves experience for 2008, plus the swim the English Channel one and moved them to the top like I always do.

Now to carry on about my queue a bit: After I watch those I’ve got a bunch of series—30 Rock, two Canadian series, Slings and Arrows and Due South, and then all the seasons of Dexter. Maybe I should just buy the Dexter boxed set. I’ve been fooling around considering it for months now. I never get very deep into my queue because sometimes I’m just not into watching dvds or am getting a dozen at a time at the local video store and keep the 3 I rent for weeks before I get around to sending them back. But then other times I whip right through them. I should stop adding anything new but that is like stopping buying books and cds or making lists of books I want to read. It ain’t gonna happen as long as I have money.

Right now I’ve got 3 Netflix movies over there waiting to be watched and instead I spend 4 hours last night watching Heat again. It was good though. The 3 Netflix that are waiting are perfect Christmas holiday movies:

Dirty Pretty Things-- a gritty urban thriller and murder mystery about an illegal immigrant working as a night porter at a posh London hotel, plus a Turkish chambermaid who helps him try to solve a murder in the city’s seedy underworld

A Way of Life—about a single teen mother who tries to keep her baby’s grandmother and social services from taking her child away (also British) “racist views mix with utter paranoia and the situation turns deadly” and

Over Her Dead Body--a supernatural romantic comedy where the psychic (Lake Bell) fails to make contact for the bereaved client (Paul Rudd) with his dead fiancée (Eva Longoria) but when the psychic begins to develop feelings for the client and starts hitting on him Eva reaches out from beyond the grave to put a stop to it.
Hey Art, when I was inspired by board conversation to look for a Keanu Reeves movies to see (yes, I think he is cute) they put up a totally unrelated movie they thought I might like called On a Clear Day. - catmeyoo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went and added it to our queue. We like English movies also. We like Australian movies too. I've seen so many it's difficult to keep track of them all. I like almost any movie with Toni Collete in it. We liked Muriel's Wedding where she is in love with ABBA and wants to get married. It was pretty funny.

Bonnie is a huge Cate Blanchett fan so we've seen a mountain of those. We saw one with a bunch of Australian Aborigines in it where Cate inherits her grandfather's house and falls in love with an Australian man... It's good.

Burned Bridge,
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Burned_Bridge/60031954?trkid=22...

Art
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont

Loved that movie! Wish it had a kind of different ending, though. That said, the entire rest of it was very good.
Anything with Paul Gross in it is OK by me :)