Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have been puzzled by the end of trading day difference between the prices of an A share and 1500 B shares that occurs sometimes. The latest example of this was yesterday,11/22/2013 with the A share closing at $174,850 and 1500 B shares at $175440. I believe I have found one very interesting reason that could sometimes account for this. Laszlo Birinyi was interviewed by Bloomberg on U.S. stocks, strategy and picks (Friday,Nov.22). In the interview he said that he was basically a trader and he liked to trade Berkshire A shares making $1000 or more for a very short trade. ( this interview can be found on the BRKA page of http://finance.yahoo.com ) It may be that the difference near the close between A and B share prices is the selling pressure of A shares by these day traders. Of greater concern is that the significantly cheaper A shares could lead to A shares being bought and at the same time 1500 B shares sold for each A share bought. The A shares are freely converted to B shares to fulfill the sale of the B shares and the difference in price between B and A shares is profit. This would lead to a decrease of A shares which I think would be a negative for Berkshire as a company.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.