Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 15
This weekend we reset the clocks, spring forward, fall back and all of that.

The idea for Daylight Savings Time is often attributed to Ben Franklin, who thought it would be a good way to get more daylight into people's lives, and thereby enhance productivity. It didn't, actually, but Ben gets credit because he wrote about it.

Daylight Time didn't officially start until World War I, and it was Germany that started it, not the US. (There were a few scattered locales that did it on their own, and standardized time zones had begun 30 years prior thanks to the railroads.) People in cities actually liked it for all the obvious reasons, but rural folk hated it: they had to get up an hour earlier if they were going to get their farm chores done in time to get their produce and goods to market via rail, which was really the only way commodity transport worked in the early 20th century.

In fact, they hated it so much that they petitioned their Senators and Congressmen to repeal it following the war, and the rural-dominated Congress did, in fact, repeal it. President Wilson vetoed the repeal, so Congress passed a repeal again. And Wilson vetoed it again. Finally Congress got a veto proof majority and the law was repealed - until World War II again made it seem important to lower energy costs and get more daylight work out of the factories that were arming America.

Note to the Tea Party: this is how you repeal a law. You get your representative government to vote to repeal it, and if it is vetoed, you get enough votes to override the veto. Not a complicated thing, but I suspect if you had tried your way of shutting everything down at the height of the war you would have been decried as a traitor, and perhaps summarily shot.

Just thought you'd enjoy a historical note for the weekend, with a contemporary footnote. Enjoy.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Note to the Tea Party: this is how you repeal a law. You get your representative government to vote to repeal it, and if it is vetoed, you get enough votes to override the veto. Not a complicated thing, but I suspect if you had tried your way of shutting everything down at the height of the war you would have been decried as a traitor, and perhaps summarily shot.

Can we still shoot them, though? Pretty please? 8D

I thought Republicans were annoying until the Koch brothers invented Tea Partiers.
No. of Recommendations: 0
, you get enough votes to override the veto. Not a complicated thing, but I suspect if you had tried your way of shutting everything down at the height of the war you would h

I find it funny the lecturing garbage from the left never seems to notice how process was not important on passing it, nor was modifying it on the fly.

As a group you are quite simply huge hypocrites with an absurd attitude that you somehow are the good guys, and truly it is disgusting.
As a group you are quite simply huge hypocrites with an absurd attitude that you somehow are the good guys, and truly it is disgusting

Lowstudent, self description, after becoming a dupe for farm subsidies.

I thought Republicans were annoying until the Koch brothers invented Tea Partiers.

Ideology of peace indeed, lol.

Nobody hates like a liberal, sport.
No. of Recommendations: 1
<Note to the Tea Party: this is how you repeal a law. You get your representative government to vote to repeal it, and if it is vetoed, you get enough votes to override the veto. Not a complicated thing, but I suspect if you had tried your way of shutting everything down at the height of the war you would have been decried as a traitor, and perhaps summarily shot.

Heh. I'm sure shooting your political enemies is the type of system you'd prefer. Or maybe you'd like to just lock us all up? After all. It's what wartime democrat Presidents do.
Heh. I'm sure shooting your political enemies is the type of system you'd prefer.

Notice how this works?

Stockgoddess makes a joke.. tasteless to be sure... but a joke.

Dope replies with his "Nobody hates like a liberal"

And in his very next post, accuses someone completely different with Im sure shooting your political enemies is the type of system you'd prefer
No. of Recommendations: 6
Or maybe you'd like to just lock us all up?

Actually, we would like to educate you, bring you into the 21st century and encourage you to use some analytical thinking.

It's just that you guys resist all of these things so much.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Or maybe you'd like to just lock us all up?

Actually, we would like to educate you, bring you into the 21st century and encourage you to use some analytical thinking.

It's just that you guys resist all of these things so much.

Uh oh... you've opened the door for one of the munchkins to accuse you of wanting to stick him in a FEMA re-education camp.
Nope, I want them raptured away. They are not worth the effort that would make them rational human beings.

Wessex
No. of Recommendations: 6
I find it funny the lecturing garbage from the left never seems to notice how process was not important on passing it

What was the process? You mean that it was passed by the House of Representatives, passed by the Senate, and signed by the President? Or that there were compromises made by both sides in getting it done? What part of the "processes" were unconstitutional, and why haven't the legal beagles been called out?

nor was modifying it on the fly.

What, specifically, has been done that is illegal? Detail the charges and I will happily mail them to the appropriate personnel in the Justice Department or wherever you like. Be sure to give details, as "I don't like what they did" doesn't count.