Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm approaching retirement and am not sure what road to follow to ensure my financial security. I know, that's the $64K question.

If my calculations are correct I need a 6% ROI to maintain my nest egg through 25 yrs of retirement.

I just signed up for TMF Million Dollar Portfolio hoping it will help guide me down the right path.

Then I read this:

5. Not giving a hoot about asset allocation. And speaking of mixing stocks and bonds, nothing can wound a retirement like bad investment decisions, whether it's owning too much of one stock, letting emotions take over, chasing the latest fad, or letting short-term events affect your long-term strategy.

You basically have two choices: You can be a master stock-picker like Warren Buffett or Peter Lynch and try to find the next Philadelphia Consolidated (Nasdaq: PHLY), or decide whether a 8.3% dividend yield makes Altria (NYSE: MO) a good stock. Or you can broadly diversify your assets, mostly via low-cost index funds such as the Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFINX).

This way, you enjoy exposure to giants like ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) -- both stocks are among the fund's top 10 holdings -- and smaller growth companies such as Watson Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: WPI) and Bemis Co. (NYSE: BMS). But until you've established your skill at finding great investments, keep the bulk of your assets in a broadly diversified, regularly rebalanced portfolio.

Sometimes all this information is just overwhelming.

Maybe I should just purchase for annuity and forgetaboutit.

Dazed
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.