Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Our DirecTV DVR died today. Ugh. We enjoy certain shows, and usually record them so we can skip thru the ads quickly. Now, without the DVR we cannot even watch TV at all, because we need the satellite feed!

Yes, we'll get another one asap. We were due, anyway; the old DVR was getting kind of ornery. But we'll miss the shows we had lovingly recorded; they are now gone.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
yes, this is one of the reasons I dislike the digital revolution. in the olden days, you'd have everything on different VHS tapes and if one malfunctioned -- or the player died -- it didn't affect everything. People say to back things up but how much $$$ do you seriously want to spend backing stuff up in the hopes that THAT drive doesn't go bust.

Can you buy DVRs these days? Our cable company (ugh, Spectrum) rents the DVR option for $13/mo plus the $7 or so for the receiver. Has to be a better way.

I'm looking again into Sling Blue. I've used them before but the wife finds the interface confusing. I see they offer the DVR service for $5/mo.

Cable companies are the devil's playthings.

SD
No. of Recommendations: 1
Have you thought of a TiVo?
Our problem is that we do not have cable out here in our rural area. Cable doesn't come out here. We have to have Dish or DirecTV, which means a satellite dish/receiver setup, with or without the recorder (DVR). So now we see nothing until we get another receiver or DVR.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 2
We used DirecTV for many years. The tech support went to hell after AT&T acquired them. As one example we used to have a dedicated tech support center 7/24 as part of a $7/month "insurance" package. First they killed the support center and second they killed 7/24 support.

We moved to Dish and found better equipment and better tech support. Things like not using "refurbished" DVRs with multiyear old HDDs for warranty repairs matter to me.
Well, I called and they will be here next week to give us the newest "Genie" box, will give us a credit for lost service, and the guy cut our monthly bill by $25 for the next year.

Whatever floats the boat.

I wish we could get TV now, but... living where we do, there is no cable, so.....

Vermonter
I wish we could get TV now, but... living where we do, there is no cable, so.....

No over the air signals?

Granted, I am near a metropolitan area, but I have a standard TV antenna in my attic and I can pick pick up about 8-10 digital HD stations which provide me with about 25 different programs. Our PBS channel alone provides 4 different digital programs at any given time
No. of Recommendations: 2
Here are a few links about DVR options:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/dvrs/best-dvrs/

https://www.lifewire.com/set-top-dvr-1130767

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvr.htm

Everyone sees different values for different entertainment thingies. I still
prefer books - but I am a certified stick-in-the-mud.

Howie52
Library cards work in marvelous ways.
HK2:

We're at least 100 miles from any TV stations here.

No big deal, though. DirecTV will be here Monday with the newest rcvr/dvr and we'll get a new, cheaper rate starting next month, too.

Vermonter
Howie52:

Oh, I love a good book, believe me! We don't even own any of those ipad or whatever things. But we do enjoy our good TV shows (without the stupid ads, which we get to skip through when prerecorded), ball games, etc., so we miss it when it's not here -- as well as stuff we have recorded, all of which will now be gone with the dead unit. C'est la vie!

Vermonter

We have cable and recently bought a smart TV (I guess that's what you call a Samsung)and my youngest son helped me set it up. One of things he showed me how to do was to connect an old fashioned set of rabbit ears to it. With the rabbit ears you can get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, TNT, etc.

Anyway the nice thing about the rabbit ears is Comcast/Xfinity or whatever they call themselves nowadays have an habit of going down. When they do go down just switch over to the rabbit ears and your back in business. Also if the Texans are on TV and they are beating the crap out of the Colts, Titans or Jaguars and you lose cable you always have rabbit ears.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, we live in Hurricane territory and are prone to losing cable. Again just change to rabbit ears.

Regards,

ImAGolfer
IMAGolfer:

Rabbit ears? LOL! Not where we live! Years ago, I had a good rotor and TV antenna (with my VHF ham radio yagi on it, too), when we were in a state within 50 miles of TV stations, but now? Not a chance.

S'okay. We all pays our money and makes our choices, hmmm?

Vermonter
<<Rabbit ears? LOL! Not where we live! Years ago, I had a good rotor and TV antenna (with my VHF ham radio yagi on it, too), when we were in a state within 50 miles of TV stations, but now? Not a chance.

S'okay. We all pays our money and makes our choices, hmmm?

Vermonter>>

Imagine how surprised you'd have been if you knew that fifty years later you would be receiving hundreds of television channels by satellite!

Seattle Pioneer
Hi RV,
You may enjoy looking into the Hauppauge HD PVR 2, which can record programs from cable or satellite feeds.
Here's a link: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hdpvr2.html

Good luck,
tb2
SP:

Imagine how shocked we'd have been about a LOT of things 50 years ago!!! LOL!

Vermonter
Youngest kiddo and I went to a few Southern Conference Baseball Tournament
games and have gone to a couple single A games this year. Thoroughly enjoyed
them all - and have watched a few of the early college World Series games.

Good times at reasonable cost.
Vermonter,

how do you access the internet at home? where I like, cable is the only way.
Vermonter you said you are at least 100 miles from TV stations. I sort of thought you lived in Vermont and wondered where in that state one would live and be 100 miles from a TV tower.
Vermonter you said you are at least 100 miles from TV stations. I sort of thought you lived in Vermont and wondered where in that state one would live and be 100 miles from a TV tower.

</snip>

Looks like large swaths of the state don't even get terrestrial radio.
https://www.wamc.org/coverage-map

intercst
WAMC is a NY state station. A Vermont-based station might be more revealing.
Smurfdog:

Internet access is via our AT&T phone line, packaged with landline phone.

Vermonter
GWPotter:

I say 100, but I'm not sure. However, there are no TV stations down our way (southern VT); only up near Burlington. Anyway, we're far from TV stations down here.

Vermonter
Absent information on where you live, I assumed in Townsend VT area, zip code 05353

Using the site below, I found over 40 broadcast TV towers within a 100 mile radius and 10 within a 50 mile radius.

https://otadtv.com/cgi-bin/tvangle.cgi
GW:

Thanks for the try. We're in Rutland, across the state to the west.

BTW, I tried that reference and my PC would not accept it.

No big deal. Monday it will be squared away.

Vermonter
Vermont PBS has a transmitter in Rutland.

https://www.vermontpbs.org/rescan/#channel

intercst
rutland tv stations

https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/05701-rutland-vt...

if you're on a hill top with clear views....should get a bundle of them

t.
intercst:

"Vermont PBS has a transmitter in Rutland."

Yes, we're aware of that, but the world doesn't revolve solely around PBS. :)

Thanks, though.

Vermonter
intercst:

I checked a map. We're more like 60 miles or so away, but still need the satellite for good reception among all our trees up here.

Vermonter
Smurfdog:

WAMC? Never heard of them. Our favorite is WCAX, Burlington.

Vermonter
Topology is more important than distance from a TV transmission tower in determining whether or not you can receive a TV signal. Before the switch from analog to digital broadcasts, I was able to receive 1 or 2 stations with a lot of snow without cable. After the switch, I can't receive any broadcasts without cable. Digital signals need a direct line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver.
Vermonter,

I wasn't the one to bring up WAMC. I was the one who noted it's NY State public radio and therefore likely to be more difficult for folks in Vermont to receive. I get this station and it's OK but mostly a vehicle for the tedious Alan Chartock to dominate the conversation.

If one is looking for outlandish radio, always try WFMU out of Jersey City, NJ and available at WFMU.org. Now that's exciting radio and has been for decades.

SD
" Digital signals need a direct line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver. "

No, digital TV takes more signal to be able to decode a picture. It is either there or not. Higher level modulation, plus probably a few subchannels, require more signal to noise at the antenna input.

You don't need 'line of sight'. Heck, most folks don't have it.....but you need a decent signal without too many large reflections off other things along the way.

Same for your 'digital phone'.......cell, iPad, smartphone, etc... except that CDMA (Verizon) loves lots of signals.....the receiver combines them all...reflections, direct, from other cells..... the 'rake' receiver.

t.
Most radio stations are now on line

My college station, which doesn't cover Rutland from the transmit site in East Greenbush NY south of Troy, NY.......has an on line listening at

http://www.wrpi.org/listen/

You can listen to hundreds of AM/FM radio stations.

Bluegrass country from WAMU - public radio - out of Washington DC.....

https://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.net/v5/WAMU

IT's not there for TV but you can get news stories from some TV stations live......

t.
Hurrah!

Our new DirecTV DVR is now up and running, with better capabilities than ever! They also lowered our monthly rate and credited us for the week without.

We'll enjoy it.

Vermonter
Our new DirecTV DVR is now up and running, with better capabilities than ever! They also lowered our monthly rate and credited us for the week without.

We'll enjoy it.

Vermonter

----------------

Was there any discussion about recovering the programs you had stored on your old DVR. That would be a nice feature. I tend to record entire sesons which may take many months to accumulate and then binge watch over a few days. So at any point in time, there is a lot of stored un-watched favorite programs. It would devastating if my DVR ever dies which is inevitable I suppose.
mike:

No, we lost all the recorded stuff, but there appears to be a way to look back on old series. We're still learning!

Vermonter