Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This weekend my door fell off. Well not exactly. I have a 96 S-10. In the driver-side door there are two hinges to hold the door on. The bolt in the top hinge broke and fell out so now the door hangs off if I open it. I've kept it shut and locked(climbing in through the passenger side) and it seems to be stable for now but I'd really like to get this fixed as soon as possible.

My question is whether it would be better to take it to the dealer or any regular body shop. Normally I would just go wherever is cheaper but I'm concerned that this is something important enough that the dealer would be the best place. Verbal quote from the dealer's body shop was ~125. Affordable for me.

I'm concerned b/c I think it broke b/c of some body work I had done on it a few years back. The door was removed, repaired and put back on with the same bolts. Dealer says that bolts must be new when the door is put back on and that this probably had a lot to do with the break.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or had any advice. Thanks, Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.