Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Dear BigShoes:

You'll find in today's RM (my weekly installment, and the first column I have written since last week) that I take full responsibility for the mistake. I have also already owned up to the fact that I goofed on the Nokia board.

My mistake was a clerical error, I used the reciprocal of the denominator by mistake. It was such a basic error that it took me some significant trial and error to recreate the data. Even in an exhaustive editorial process such as the one we have at the Fool, sometimes these things slip past.

Since this is the Internet and not print, when these things happen we have the option of doing one of two things: quietly going and correcting the original article in our archives, or pointing out the mistake in the current column. We find it much more honest to do the latter.

I did not know that there was an error until it was identified by Fools on the Nokia board, and we pointed out the mistake the first opportunity we had after that, in Matt's column.

Matt's explanation may not have been satisfactory to you, for which I personally apologize. However the central theme of the Motley Fool is and always has been that you should think for yourself and do your own research before you buy anything. Rather than try to pull a fast one on you, that is what he was trying to communicate.

If you have further comments on this feel free to email me directly at billm@fool.com. You will find this topic addressed fully in today's Rule Maker.

Thanks, Fool on!
Bill Mann

"Jim never vomits at home."
-Airplane
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.