No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear billscally,

Basically book value = assets - liabilities, so as you say, in principle there is nothing wrong with a negative book value ("shareholder's deficit").

In principle "book value" would be the value of a company to shareholders if all liabilities were paid off. The "in principle" comes because it probably isn't so; equipment and inventory likely would have to be sold for less than the value on the books, other things may sell for more (e.g. sometimes real estate, purchased companies).

Ben Graham says that book value is more accurately a measure of the money "put into" a company (shareholder's equity = money from issued stock + paid in capital + retained earnings - treasury stock, possible I'm missing one or two things but these are the main ones). One can make this number negative by paying out quite a bit of equity (e.g. special dividend) or buying back a bunch of shares. The times I have seen it has been the latter (take on debt to buy back a lot of shares).

I see this in LBOed companies sometimes...

Did I answer your question?

Lleweilun Smith
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.